Computerized two axis solar panel tracker

skp51443

I ran across this which might be of interest to folks fooling with solar panels and wanting to point them for maximum power. It will take some serious improvements to work for an RV sized system but a lot of the hardware and control software should be usable.

https://hackaday.io/project/7178-portable-2-axis-solar-tracker

1061871440369608209.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley, I've seen solar trackers before, but like you, I don't see it very economically or logistically feasible for RV use. As you're more aware then myself, simpler to just add more panels and/or maybe use a tilt system and park the RV the right direction so you can tilt them at X angle towards the southern sky if you're parked there all day. In our area believe it or not I'm seeing more and more solar systems in the Amish community then here among what they call "Englishmen" communities. Most of them are around 4000 watts and constructed using fiberglass framing fixed and tilted around 43 degrees facing the southern sky. They are NOT grid tied (no grids) and have the usual bank of maybe L16 batteries and Inverters. One manufacturing facility has like hundreds of LP Gas Tanks scattered all over and they use gas engine powered compressors that run all night and day to store enough compressed air to power their tools all day. If we sell what's left of the farm and downsize I will probably build up my own 4000 watt fixed location grid tie system. I think it might payback in like 5 to 6 years, I haven't crunched all the numbers yet, depends, of course, on cost and utility rates. Last night on Ice Lake Rebels one chick was so proud of her house boat that had ONLY ONE BATTERY and a single wind generator. Us typical RV Solar users would blow her doors off lol.

Heading West soon to Grand Canyon and 5 other Natl Parks, solar and batteries will get a good test.

John T

The cost-effectiveness of pointing panels has always been the weak spot of anything beyond a manual tilt only system in my opinion but for someone size limited or planning a ground based system tracking of some type becomes more interesting despite the cost. This setup is pretty interesting due to the integrated Pi computer and the open-source hardware and software.

I even bookmarked the metal working site there Big Blue Saw just in case I need something laser or water cut, prices are a bit painful but versus a hacksaw and Dremel tool they don't look too bad.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

A fellow I met a few years back that had a rather simple, yet effective, "sun tracker" system on his roof top array. It was rather simple actually. Basically, it was some type of day/night sensor he had put adjustable vertical "blinders" on each side (in order to adjust solar angle). That was attached to a small geared 12v motor. It wouldn't control tilt, but as the sun moved the blinder would cast a shadow over the sensor; thereby activating the motor which would rotate his array until the sensor was in full sun again. He had to manually switch it off when he was done charging for the day (or the motor would just run continuously) and had to turn it back on each morning. He had a switch that would reverse polarity on the motor so it would "track" in reverse of the previous day until it found the sun and stop... then he would reverse the polarity again so the panels would track in the proper direction.

If my panels weren't already permanently mounted I might try something like that, but I keep the idea in my "it might be fun" book. It certainly seems more practical for an RV'r than the system referenced. If I had a foundation under my home and large free standing arrays... I would be all over something like that, though.

Archived