Schwintek slide improvements

telcoman

If you have 2 sets of gear rails down the sides of your slide, you have a Schwintek. These slides have 2 or 3 white plastic rollers underneath that will eventually cause wear, destroying the undercoating or even channeling into the the wood floor. Yous can see bits of the undercoating sticking to the rollers in the photos. Here is a solution. I used .05 mil aluminum plates 7 inches wide that I had done at a metal shop. Cost me about $25 for 3 of them. In my case they had to be 36 inches long to just tuck under the molding. I did not want the molding snagging on the end of it and wearing as it went in & out. The rollers are 4.4 inches wide so there is lots of room on each side of them. I used plastic screw head inserts so the molding does not wear as it passes over them.

The pictures below illustrate the issue and the final product. I found I had to jack up the side as close to the trailer body as possible and only raised it enough to force the aluminum over the rollers. the drive motors have about 1/4 of play so the extra 0.5 mil height is not an issue.

slide1.jpg

slide2.jpg

slide3.jpg

slide4.jpg

slide5.jpg

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I own a Lance 1172 with the same issue. I am currently waiting for the parts to come from Lance to "fix" the problem. They suggest using rivets to secure the plates to the under side of the slide. It appears that this is a common problem with the Schwintek slides.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

The aluminum should last several years if not forever. I only screwed it in, not glued it, so it would be easy and only about $20 to replace it. I spend winters on the west coast of Mexico so i do not want issues with humidity & salt.

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

I own a Lance 1172 with the same issue. I am currently waiting for the parts to come from Lance to "fix" the problem. They suggest using rivets to secure the plates to the under side of the slide. It appears that this is a common problem with the Schwintek slides.

As with the answer above, its easier to replace if you use screws. I suspect they suggest rivets so as to minimize the head profile so as to not to rub the seal as it passes over them. The cheap plastic screw head inserts solve that problem anyway. I would use screws. I used small cabinet screws & i did countersink them a bit. With only 0.05 mil thickness you can't do much of that. You do not need much to hold it in place, I spaced them about 6 inches apart

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

I tried a piece of 16 gauge steel plate. The rollers are steel and they nicely creased that plate like it was plastic wrap. Made a channel down the center where the roller actually made contact. No kind of screws would hold that plate in place with the amount of distortion the weight caused to it. Need a lot thicker, maybe double that thickness.

I thought about aluminum but it is so soft I am pretty sure that any thickness would gall badly once it took a dent from the roller and it would just go downhill from there.

Still working on a solution.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

What is underneath is the special 1" OSB with a sheet of the acrylic or fiberglass coating. This is my kitchen slide so there is a lot of weight there, for sure.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Hmm and steel rollers? Maybe its too heavy a slide for this type of mechanism. The underside should not be giving. That must be stressing the V rollers that support the side rails..

schwintek.jpg

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

Ah. From the textual description it sure sounded a lot like mine but the pictures are waaay off from what I have. My slides are directly supported at the outboard edges by two steel box beams with the ladder holes along the bottom of each that engage the cogs on the axle that runs between them inside the basement. Each box beam is about 3x5" and supported by steel rollers under it and above it farther inboard to cantilever it as it extends the slide. I think that mostly only the floor of the slide is weighing on the steel rollers along the edge of the floor just behind the bottom slide rubber flap. This box was made in 1999 so I don't know if this is an older version or something completely different. Clearly, it is something a lot heavier duty than the pics you show.

My slide is 18' long and supports the entire kitchen, entertainment center and all the cabinets in both.

Sorry for the confusion.

Archived