7 Reasons Why You Should Ditch Your iPad for a Surface 3

ITWorld has an interesting article offering up 7 cogent reasons why a Surface 3 makes a better work platform than an iPad.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2920303/personal-technology/7-reasons-to-ditch-your-ipad-for-the-surface-3.html?phint=newt%3Ditworld_wireless_strategies&phint=idg_eid%3Dafbdce93df1132e5de07d306edf23bac#slide1

Not the least of these reasons arre, for me, the two most compelling: USB3 and a standard micro charging connector. I really like having standardized devices and while I am perfectly willing to admit that Apple has, by adopting some of them, moved them into the mainstream. Even so, I don't like proprietary doodads that force me to pay $45 for a charging cord when it should only cost $7.95.

Standardization is probably the underlying message in the article. From a "standard" keyboard to "standard" MS Windows applications to "standard" memory options there is clearly a strong case for the Surface 3.

Of course, you also get the "standard" security issues. But most of us have at least learned to live with those (if not completely solve them).

I've found that using a laptop presents problems with reliability. I've never had a laptop last more than about 3 years. Keyboards are the first to fail and right behind them comes the "hinge". Sure, you can add a wireless keyboard and plug in a monitor (most of the time, at least) but then the advantages of the laptop disappear and it becomes a desktop that occupies even more room on your desk than a desktop would.

But the size of the Surface 3 seems to be right on for being a convenient mobile work device. And 8.1 is clearly more suitable to a mobile device than it is to a desktop (speaking as a guy who just had to get one of those going on a workplace network yesterday).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Nice article but before I jump on a M$oft bandwagon, I'm going to wait for the marketing hype to subside and get some actual field reports.

$7.95 for the cable is right but if the cable plugs into a worthless or crippled brick, its still not much use.

And no, I am not an Apple fan, haven't been since the Mac SE.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Howdy!

I'm not a ipad fan but have been using android tablet for years. Gave up on notebooks because of all the malware and virus problems which I have not had with android. My question is if I would decide to try the Surface 3 or other windows tablets can I still use my android apps on it. Also do they have gps capability to run my android Co-pilot Trucker gps app? Do not want to give up all the apps I have paid for and start over. Right now my Samsung Ntoe 10.1 tablet does everything I need except print and that I beleive can be solved with a new wireless printer.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

I'm not a ipad fan but have been using android tablet for years. Gave up on notebooks because of all the malware and virus problems which I have not had with android. My question is if I would decide to try the Surface 3 or other windows tablets can I still use my android apps on it. Also do they have gps capability to run my android Co-pilot Trucker gps app? Do not want to give up all the apps I have paid for and start over. Right now my Samsung Ntoe 10.1 tablet does everything I need except print and that I beleive can be solved with a new wireless printer.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

I use co-pilot myself on Android. But your Android apps will not run on Windows. You'd need a different app for co-pilot too. I would not be trading off my tablet instead of Surface 3 I might consider Surface 3 for work, however.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I use co-pilot myself on Android. But your Android apps will not run on Windows. You'd need a different app for co-pilot too. I would not be trading off my tablet instead of Surface 3 I might consider Surface 3 for work, however.

WDR

Howdy!

Thanks, I did not think so. Not for me then.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived