Slide out unbalanced

PAylor

Hi all,

Love to get some input /opinions on this.

At 11 months into a year warranty on our new fifth wheel our bedroom slide got stuck. Hubby investigated and found that the cables that were attached to the motor to bring it in had been installed wrong. He was able to disconnect the pulleys and realign the cables. Obviously a problem from the original assembly of the unit. After he fixed it he found that the cable was frayed (probably because we had used it not knowing there was a twist in it). The warranty covered replacement and repair.

Now hubby thinks the slide is not balanced when it's closed. One side has a 3/4 in gap when the other is snug (the rubber seals don't allow moisture to get in). And of course the warranty has now expired. I think we have a case for having this repaired since it was associated with the assembly of the rig.

My question is does it even matter if it's not balanced? He thinks it does but I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

By balanced, do you mean that it contacts the fixed wall on each end, top & bottom all at the same time? If that is what you are asking then I would consider it pretty important. If it does not seal properly all of the way, at some time you will have leaks develop.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi all,

Love to get some input /opinions on this.

At 11 months into a year warranty on our new fifth wheel our bedroom slide got stuck. Hubby investigated and found that the cables that were attached to the motor to bring it in had been installed wrong. He was able to disconnect the pulleys and realign the cables. Obviously a problem from the original assembly of the unit. After he fixed it he found that the cable was frayed (probably because we had used it not knowing there was a twist in it). The warranty covered replacement and repair.

Now hubby thinks the slide is not balanced when it's closed. One side has a 3/4 in gap when the other is snug (the rubber seals don't allow moisture to get in). And of course the warranty has now expired. I think we have a case for having this repaired since it was associated with the assembly of the rig.

My question is does it even matter if it's not balanced? He thinks it does but I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

There is a video on the BAL Accu-Slide site. I used a fish scale to

balance the cable tension. Time consuming but not that difficult.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Kirk,

By unbalanced I meant two things.

If you are standing outside the rv when the slide is closed the right side is tighter tk the rv than the left. The rubber on on side is more compressed than the left (but no gap).

Also it looks like the entire slide has shifted about 1/2 inch to the left. The lip on metal frame just touches the rubber on one side whereas the other has a overlap.

Don't know if that makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Kirk,

If you are standing outside the rv when the slide is closed the right side is tighter tk the rv than the left. The rubber on on side is more compressed than the left (but no gap).

Also it looks like the entire slide has shifted about 1/2 inch to the left. The lip on metal frame just touches the rubber on one side whereas the other has a overlap.

Kirk,

I wouldn't leave it that way.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived