Here's what Google's mobile search change means to you

RV_

OK I have no dog in this fight but it is one of the several reasons I do not allow Google products on my computer or use their services, especially their search engine. I really like a company like MS and Apple that actually sell warez, hard and soft, not only my private data no matter how anonymized folks try to believe it is. ( We do not collect personally identifiable information but anonymously peek at all your Gmail, listen in on all your Google voice calls, retain your information on your computer if you use any Google program on it. This so we can tailor your web experience to be more tailored to your interests. Great Google, but if it is anonymous how do you know where to send my preferences? [silence ensues])

I trust Microsoft and Apple much more than Google and other ad based data collection companies. The Android people that take offense, please don't. We are in fact a mixed marriage here in that I have a Windows Phone but my SH has Android despite all of our tablets and my phone being Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 Denim.

Google is manipulating the people with websites by declaring all websites with mobile versions get higher rankings in Google search results than other websites do which will result in a lot of websites like mine that are not written for both mobile and desktop devices to drop down in the ratings.

This will affect all Internet capable devices, as long as you choose to use Google search as your search engine. The fix is to switch to Bing search if you like the feel of a big search engine. I tried Bing out several times in the last decade and dropped it as not ready for prime time. But I have been using it as my primary search engine with Duck Duck Go as my backup when there is a warning out on lots of compromised websites out there with zero days active attacks happening.

Excerpt:

"In about two weeks, Google plans to make a major change to the algorithm for its mobile search, giving mobile-friendly websites a higher position in search rankings.

For a company that dominates the search market with an approximately 75 percent share, this is going to mark a significant change for mobile search.

I think it should be a shake-up for mobile," said Collin Colburn, an analyst with Forrester. "Google does change its algorithm quite frequently, but this is a bit of a larger change.... Websites that are not designed [with mobile in mind] will take a hit and websites that are responsively designed will begin to rise in search results."

He also noted that the change should mean that consumers will have a better user experience because they'll be directed to more mobile-friendly sites.

In a February blog post, Google noted that the company's search team is focused on making its service better for the burgeoning base of mobile users.

"When it comes to search on mobile devices, users should get the most relevant and timely results, no matter if the information lives on mobile-friendly web pages or apps," the company noted. "As more people use mobile devices to access the Internet, our algorithms have to adapt to these usage patterns."

That algorithm change goes into effect April 21, affecting mobile searches in all languages worldwide.

Google warned that the change will have a "significant impact in our search results" and offered up a link website operators can use to see if their site is considered mobile friendly."

With much more in the original article here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2906729/mobile-technology/heres-what-googles-mobile-search-change-means-to-you.html?phint=newt%3Dinfoworld_tech_google&phint=idg_eid%3D6aa01e18b29f7b6f9149f611f8eac228#tk.IFWNLE_ifw_goog_2015-04-09

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived