Meandering again

Bill/Marg

Not sure I understand about topic tags. Have been off and on these forums since probably late 1990s. Lived in three different RVs, no stix or brix, for probably six years, but can only say one full year was spent full-timing. That was traveling. An old familiar, boring tale of family not ready to let go of us, and still feeling the responsibility to oblige. Backbones of rubber when it comes to family. Now that the road is shorter and the last grandchild wanting to stay "full time" with a parent, we find ourselves with a new RV in the driveway, still living in the stix and brix with lots of "stuff" to get rid of. We have been here before. No problem getting rid of stuff. What a difference fifteen and more years make. Where I was fearless before, jumping into the deep end of the pool this time only reminds me that I cannot swim. Still, we are being "allowed" to live our dream. I hate houses, always have. When we first married nearly 54 years ago our first home was a vintage travel trailer with the shower over the commode. Total happiness. It was rented though and stuck in one place. Now, in this house, I look out at a mountain behind the house, trees all around me, wild animals come into the yard, beautiful large house in a very small town of older people. Two acres of the Ouachita's surround us. Our new RV, I can get rid of dust bunnies with fuzzy socks each day. I might have to adjust my idea of traveling to meet Billy's idea. He always wanted to stay a month or two. I wanted to run fast, next bend, next hill, just change what I saw out my front window often. Okay, will have to slow down and smell the roses. Cannot go that fast anymore anyhow. Can these old dogs learn new tricks? I am just hoping we can remember the old ones. At least in the TT, we can find each other. We get lost in this house. This house.......beautiful, comfortable, and all I want to see of it again is in our rear view mirror.

Kiss the family and say see ya

Later. They are grown ups and its now your time.

So glad that we have independent kids who understood that we turned the welcome mat over when they left for college

They never call us to come rescue them and that's fine with us. Go have a great time

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Sounds like you're ready to hit the road. At least you've been through this before so you know what to expect. Me, this is my first time so I'm a bit nervous. I'm with you though, not sure about houses anymore. Very big, can easily 'escape' each other, just seems like a lot of work and stuck in one place. Good luck with your travels! We only go around once, make it count!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

We are planning for our first time and it's taking self discipline not to hit the road now but to save up for it. I'd like to think 20 years ago we may have just jumped right in, but then again maybe not.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Well, we planned for it maybe five years, lived in RV park while still both working. Retired same day. Hit the road then. Freedom was wonderful. Too wonderful to last. It didn't. Watched RVs coming down the road and envied them, knew what a good time they were having. Finally, almost gave up on it. Then it came up again, then knocked down again. This time, rather than waiting, we bought the RV, parked it in the big driveway, now going to get ready for yard sale and kids to take the big furniture off our hands. God usually laughs at me when I plan things. So, just gonna do it. (I was brave back in the late 1990's, now I am big talk only.)

Follow your dream!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Follow your heart and your dreams. Life is not a dress rehearsal, we all only get to go around once. Took us a while but realized that nothing has to be forever, so we live moreso for the moments now than ever we did before = better a late realization than never!

When it comes to our kids we are the same - very very close knit, working always together everyone has achieved greatness, compared to going alone. Equally they encourage and support our dreams for the highlight of our twilight, as we encourage and support their goals in life every step of the way. We all treasure our family home so much that hubby built, the youngest is going to rent it for a few years to make sure she and fiance (will be hubby by then) can handle the running costs and then buy it off us. Hopefully a win-win all around, and less heartache of loss as they want their future family memories created there. We can also build a small place here, at a later date if needed and discussed for an exit strategy for us, and future income for them when we've permanently departed one day. If all goes according to plan, should be a Win-Win for everyone :) If not we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Glad to see you getting on the road. I bet you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Regarding family. Although we didn't get much flack when we started, we found that if my wife's parents needed help or care, a couple of her sisters attitude was that since "we didn't actually have a life" we should drop whatever we were doing and drive from wherever we were and help them. Neither of the sisters worked but whatever they did during the day was way more important than what we did. As a result we spent some time in some pretty low temperatures helping take care one or the other of her parents.

The good news is we were able to help her parents several times.

I guess it just griped us that they thought that because we lived in a motor home and could move it that we should be able to drop whatever we were doing and move 2000 miles no matter what doctor/dentist appointments or plans we had.

In spite of that we had a great 11 years and wouldn't trade the experience for hardly anything.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Welcome back to the RV community! You have obviously been an Escapee for a long time, based upon your number. It does sound as though it is time for the two of you to begin to live your life for each other. Being of similar age, I have begun to understand that the two of us have a limited number of years to spend together and the sooner you begin to make good use of the time, the better. Never forget that the only thing which you have that can never be replaced or recovered once gone is your time. Do not waste it!

Just a thought for you to consider is a possible trip for next summer as the Escapade will be in Vermont in July 2016 and we would love to see you there!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk. In our 50's we did not hear those footsteps behind us, in spite of having had cancer and kidney arteries between us. Have been very lucky. Can still lift and pull and get around pretty equal. Unfortunately, for some reason, hear the footsteps and we are just going to have to try to outrun them or quit looking behind us. I don't think it will take long for us to get the hang of it again.

Archived