Canadian returning home with new tires

mislyn

We have been at the Escapade in Tucson and as we are new to RVing we found that our 6 tires on the Class A were ready to blow. So since we have to drive 2,000 miles home we felt we had to replace them. I am sure there are others of you out there that may have had to do this also or possibly make repairs.

My question is - do we declare these at the border and any ideas on what this is going to cost us in addition to the cost of tires ($ 3,300 US for the 6 new tires including mounting and balancing).

Would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks and Hugs

Roy & Lyn Darling

Alberta Roamers #44

Edmonton, AB

As you well know they usually ask about your total purchases while in the US. Sometimes they will ask if any repairs or modifications have been done to your vehicle. Some people declare it all, some don't but its a risk if you dont.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Very interesting. Several times the article mentions the safe return of the vehicle so that is a good argument I suppose. It certainly worth a try.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

You were right on about the class - we were given a little card to check the tire wear and ours was in the Reject category. Our tires were over 7 yrs old according to the date on them and the walls of all the tires were splitting - up to 4 inches in length in some spots - we were told that we may be able to travel home without blowouts but it was dicey - we thought better home alive than dead since we have to travel approx. 2000 miles home.

Thank you for the info - it was perfect, just the info we needed - guess we will have to leave it up to customs for the final decision. I have never not declared anything purchased abroad and thought I would check with my fellow escapees to be sure of what to do.

Thanks and hugs to you all

Roy and Lyn Darling

Edmonton, AB

Off topic a bit ...but....when are you guys headed for home? We are in Las Vegas and will head for home ( Lethbridge ) in about a week. Keeping a close eye on the weather as it is so warm right now I might not need to winterize till we get home. I usually winterize in Vegas but this winter its different.

I think you made the correct decision. Last year we caravaned to the Maritimes. At the border the agent asked if we had anything to declare, which we did. He explained the consequences of him finding undeclared items. It was also explained the agents could legally confiscate the MH too.

One MH in the caravan did not declare their liquor, MH was searched, liquor confiscated,fees paid, while waiting a hour to be released.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived