Discount off MSRP - new & used 5th wheels?

Mainuh

Hey all,

I had primarily only been considering a class A rig when we retire (hopefully within 18 mos). But reading posts by Jack Mayer and other HDT owners here, I'm looking into 5th wheel and potentially HDT combos and try to see how they compare cost wise. All my previous research had been on something else, so my question for you 5th wheelers is (and sorry if it's been asked before as I'm sure it has, I searched for some time and wasn't able to find an answer... really!) What is the markup that dealers are wiling to discount on new and used 5th wheels? For class A I've heard anyone should be able to get 25% off MSRP on a new unit and perhaps 30% or more on a used one from a dealer's list. Do these numbers ring true for 5th wheels as well? We're hoping to get into something for $150-175 (my wife winces at $125...) and I know I can do that easily in a class A used DP, but it's sounding like an HDT with a smartcar bed will run in the 80-100K+ range (with smartcar purchase) and then you start looking at a quality 5th wheel like a new Horizon and you can be over my budget in no time.

Are 5th wheels discounted as heavily as Class A rigs? Those of you with HDT/5th wheel & smart car bed w/smart car.... what did it cost you to assemble it all and get going down the road? I have a web conference with Gregg from RVHaulers.ca next week, but kind of wondering if the numbers are going to work unless there are some generous discounts to be had somewhere...

Thanks for any info. Kind of on the fence on this one, but want to consider all options. Thought of posting this in HDT, but really more curious about 5th wheel costs/discounts at the moment.

Cheers,

Don

Look at the for sale section of this forum and you will find exactly what you seem to be looking for. The complete package of 45' New Horizons, VNL610 Volvo with autoshift and low miles, plus Smart for Two for $162,500. Fiver alone is under $120,000 and Truck wth Smart is 'under $50,000. Its a great package at a very fair price.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

I think you can expect the 20-35% margin is pretty much across the board. From my experience, the deeper discount end is generally in the towables, but a lot of that too really depends on location, time of year, etc.

Thanks Yarome... That's what I was hoping. Lots of research to do as we hadn't even looked at any towables, but it will put things into perspective better as I look at various ads and dealer listings.

Look at the for sale section of this forum and you will find exactly what you seem to be looking for. The complete package of 45' New Horizons, VNL610 Volvo with autoshift and low miles, plus Smart for Two for $162,500. Fiver alone is under $120,000 and Truck wth Smart is 'under $50,000. Its a great package at a very fair price.

Marvmarcy, wow, very ineteresting package. Sure wish we were closer to being ready. But we're probably 12-15 months from purchase for a fall 2016 conversion to RV life. I'll keep my eyes on the classifieds here!

Cheers,

Don

Archived