Norcold 1200 needs a stick of dynamite!

nana25k

I have read of many problems with the Norcold 4 door refrig. Are they as bad as I have been reading? Any happy users out there?

They are not all bad but they have been the cause of more than one RV disaster, mostly fires. RV refrigerators are probably the #1 cause of fire in the more recently built RVs. There is a very good solution which I as well as Mark Nemeth have concluded is by far the best way to make an RV, absorption refrigerator truly safe and to keep it in good condition for a long time. I am in no way connected with this product, but to the best of my knowledge, the ARP refrigerator control is the only sure way to prevent a failure which could cause a fire. Both Norcold and Dometic have had recalls one all of their refrigerators in recent years over the problem which this unit will prevent.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have never seen this product before. Did you just encounter this at the Escapade Kirk?? Have you installed one?

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I have never seen this product before. Did you just encounter this at the Escapade Kirk?? Have you installed one?

I actually became aware of the product via a discussion on these forums, back several months ago. I did quite a bit of investigating of the device at that time and even contacted the manufacturer rep with several questions, which they quite freely answered. I was then leaning toward getting one but when I went to the instruction sets that were available on his site there were none that would work for the particular refrigerator that I have and particularly not with the way it is installed into our Sportsman travel trailer. After an exchange of several emails I learned that he was planning to be in the vendor area at Escapade so we agreed to meet then and figure out what needs to be done. After some discussion Paul agreed to come by our RV and have a look.

The result is that I now have one of the systems which includes a fan control & fan installed into our RV and operating well. I discussed it with Mark Nemeth one evening at some length and found that Mark has had his for just over a year now and is very pleased with it and is recommending them in his classes at "RVer's Boot-Camp." It is a very well designed device and installs into the system such that no wires are cut, spliced, or modified in the refrigerator. The unit adds temperature sensing at the boiler and monitors it to prevent over heating and should that happen it removes 12V power from the refrigerator, shutting it down until the system has returned to safe operating temperatures. In the one that I have it also adds a temperature sensor to the cooling coils and based upon the temperature in them it will turn on or off an extra fan to move more air through the back of the unit to improve cooling of the refrigerator interior. The only way that any part of the refrigerator is modified is that the power lead to the 12V refrigerator controls is moved from the terminal on the refrigerator and connected to the APV controller and a lead from the controller then connects 12V to the refrigerator, thus allowing the control to turn the refrigerator off or on.

Wow. This sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up about the product

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

If you find yourself in northern Indiana anytime, Linda, Leon at National Refrigeration can give you an evaluation. As Terry said earlier, he replaced our cooling unit with his own design. He also did Mac McCoy's, the guy that does the RV fire presentations. I asked him specifically if after having Leon fix our fridge we ever needed to worry about it catching fire. He said NO! He knows these things inside/out.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Teacher's Pet
Mom to 1 Scottie, Brendon

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT

Travel summers and whenever else I can

http://skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

I asked him specifically if after having Leon fix our fridge we ever needed to worry about it catching fire. He said NO! He knows these things inside/out.

Interesting.............. I talked with the Dometic rep who was at Escapade and he gave me exactly the same response. I did a search for National Refrigeration in Google to see what I could learn and found a lot of businesses with similar names but none in Indiana? There are re-manufacturers who install the ARP in the process so I wonder if you may have found one? Got a link to their website?

Guest Caseyj

Interesting.............. I talked with the Dometic rep who was at Escapade and he gave me exactly the same response. I did a search for National Refrigeration in Google to see what I could learn and found a lot of businesses with similar names but none in Indiana? There are re-manufacturers who install the ARP in the process so I wonder if you may have found one? Got a link to their website?

http://www.rvservicelink.com

That takes me to a site that lists RV service companies? There is no National Refrigeration listed there as far as I can see........... :huh:

EDIT:

If you find yourself in northern Indiana anytime, Linda, Leon at National Refrigeration can give you an evaluation.

I just heard from Paul of ARP and it seems that when you get a cooling unit from National RV Refrigeration it has the ARP unit incorporated into it already. It seems that Leon & Paul (ARP) are well acquainted. Paul also recommends them when you need a new cooling unit.

If you find yourself in northern Indiana anytime, Linda, Leon at National Refrigeration can give you an evaluation. As Terry said earlier, he replaced our cooling unit with his own design. He also did Mac McCoy's, the guy that does the RV fire presentations. I asked him specifically if after having Leon fix our fridge we ever needed to worry about it catching fire. He said NO! He knows these things inside/out.

Dale

I guess time will tell how ours works out. After Ron reset it it has been cooling just fine. There is a continuing issue with the interior light. The bulb is good and the thermistor wiring reads fine. The doors are tight and level. The light will go off and stay off for days then suddenly come back on for days. Who know??

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Archived