rear air bags and leveling valve

Shallow Draft

With talk of air leaks and such I checked my leveling valve and bags. The valve was leaking badly and the bags look like they could at anytime. It seems the Wabco valve is updated to a Haldex.

Has anybody done this and is it a straight forward change or will I have some height adjustment issues as well as possibly connection changes.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

SD: I don't remember what brand KW sold me for mine but it was different. Took a little head scratching but went in with only the expected effort.

It was raining at Quartzite, had nothing else to do, and had an entire gaggle of MDT's/HDT's from the Heavy Haulers BoF there should that I get messed up.

They won't know you are under the back of the toter, but you open the hood and 10 people will be right over. :wacko:

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

There may be minor differences that require plugging a line or drilling a new hole in the bracket...but most likely it will drop right in. (Some assm required... :P ) All the essentials remain the same...measure your frame rail top to a axle reference point (more reliable than the ground which may be rough) Then change the valve. Adjust the valve linkage/bracket if needed until the same measurement is reached.

When I changed mine the mechanics were perfect..no adjustment needed. I did have to figure out that my old valve had a "dump lock out" feature (it wouldn't dump if the parking brake was on) that the new one did not. So I had a line to disconnect and plug on the other end.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

There may be minor differences that require plugging a line or drilling a new hole in the bracket...but most likely it will drop right in. (Some assm required... :P ) All the essentials remain the same...measure your frame rail top to a axle reference point (more reliable than the ground which may be rough) Then change the valve. Adjust the valve linkage/bracket if needed until the same measurement is reached.

When I changed mine the mechanics were perfect..no adjustment needed. I did have to figure out that my old valve had a "dump lock out" feature (it wouldn't dump if the parking brake was on) that the new one did not. So I had a line to disconnect and plug on the other end.

The Wabco has 3 large lines and a small one I suspect that may be the dump out lock but I am not sure.

I assume that there is 1 air line in and 2 out to the bags and I thought the 4th was some thing to do with the air dump process. the new Haldex has 4 ports also but I am not sure of what the functions are until I see it. It was $60.00 the Wabco I found as direct replacement was $145

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

If that's the same upgrade I did right after I got my truck, the mounting bracket will be different. It's a direct swap as far as the air lines go though. There's an updated bracket for the new valve, which I don't think was very expensive.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

If that's the same upgrade I did right after I got my truck, the mounting bracket will be different. It's a direct swap as far as the air lines go though. There's an updated bracket for the new valve, which I don't think was very expensive.

That is good to hear. The new Haldex valve comes with a bracket.

OK I am in the process of installing the new bags and level control valve but of course it looks different and I did not measure the height before I removed the old parts.

Does anybody have the correct measurement for the distance between the upper and lower airbag mounting plats?

is it a number I might find in the resource section?

This new valve has 5 large ports [1 in and 4 out] and 1 small port. I will have to make 2 plugs.

I believe the sweet spot is 7 3/4" from the weld line on your axle to the bottom on the frame.

EDIT:

Read the following post from: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/volvo-forum/144350-air-ride-height.html

finally i went to chicago dealership and have what i wanted....
in volvo height adjustment is set by 5 holes in beam under air bags (they are like 2on top, 1 middle,2 bottom ones) . you can't do anything to the vertical rod connected to the air valve couse changing it's lenght is cousing different reaction of the air ride level valve and is not pumping or dumping preassure correctly... i changed both air ride valve and rod to make sure everything is correct for my vin# 150$$ ,then Volvo way of measurment is like this....take a measure of the height of tire which is for my tire if remember right 41 inch, then measure height from the level ground to the bottom of frame (28,25 inch), take half of tire height so 41 / 2 comes to 20,5inch ,next step ---> then take half of tire height minus height form the ground to the frame so... 28,25 - 20,5 is 7,75!!!!!
now this number 7,75 is the distance from the center of the drive axle (welding) to the botoom of the frame ,done!! if your number is different then 7,75 you have to make it right

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Thank you PEIFamily

that will help greatly when I get air back in the system.

this is such a great place for help.

That's the specs I used last fall and seemed to be the perfect height afterwards.. Now soon as the snow leaves some, I got to finish relocating my valve and adjust it again. Haven't had the truck going in awhile due to the cold.

Glad I was able to help.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Finished this project. everything went as planned other than the new Haldex valve had a couple extra ports to plug. The valve cam with one so I had to build another with airline and a bolt.

Height adjustment was a breeze with the 7,75 spec from PEIFamily. thanks again

Cost were: $99.00 x2 for bags and $65.00 for the valve and new bracket. Shipping $29.99.

Of the many spare parts I always carried in my HDT days were a spare main air bag, as well as a cab air bag. After a leveler faiing that fortunately I could fix on the road I also carried an extra one of them too....

Heck, one of my larger compartments was plum full of spare parts ! :)

Cheers,
Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

If I have an airbag fail I will use a "pneumatic arrestor and a forestland spacer' for a temporary get off the road fix.

[vice grip and chunk of wood]

Shallow Draft, on 15 Feb 2015 - 1:34 PM, said:

If I have an airbag fail I will use a "pneumatic arrestor and a forestland spacer' for a temporary get off the road fix.

[vice grip and chunk of wood]

lol

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Archived