Rogue Wave Review - A WiFi capture Device

I recently completed a review of the Rogue Wave. This device uses a Ubiquity Bullet and external antenna to better capture wifi signals. It is similar in function to the WiFiRanger Mobile, but is oriented at ONLY using wifi as the Internet source (backhaul). It performs that function quite well and is far simpler to use than a WiFiRanger. But it gives you less capabilities.

The review is HERE.

This was first published on the Technomadia RVMobileInternet.com site. All of my original Communications material is posted there first - and sometimes only there. If you are interested in the latest in hands-on testing and communications information, that is the best resource center available in my opinion. (I get nothing from saying that.....Well, OK, Cherie HAS promised me a home cooked meal at some point in time...... :) )

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Sounds like it is pretty much the same as the original WFR Boost except that the router will not accept a modem. If I remember from old discussions about using the omni antennas on the Bullet instead of the Laird for RV applications, wasn't there an issue with omni antennas being damaged by vibration? The new omni offered for the WFR MobileTi and I presume being used on the Elite was supposed to be specially designed to solve that problem. Is the Rogue Wave antenna similarly designed, the same antenna, or?

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

It is a conventional antenna. My experience with using these antennas - and I have used them for many years in many applications on the RV roof - is that they last 2-3 years. No matter how I try to treat them/support them. But they are relatively inexpensive to replace.....IF they do not damage the Bullet.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

...But they are relatively inexpensive to replace.....IF they do not damage the Bullet...

Thanks for the quick response.

If the Bullet supplied with the Rogue was damaged after the warranty expired, could it be replaced with a Ubiquiti Bullet or has Rogue overwritten the Airos firmware so that only they can offer replacements?

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Thanks for posting this product review.

I went to the Rogue Wave webpage and it states:

"The easy to use web-based interface requires NO software installation and will work with Windows and Mac. You can easily connect any router such as our optional Netgear to the Rogue Wave, allowing you to share the connection wirelessly with several computers throughout the boat!"

So, it sounds like it could be used with a Craddle Point or other router that also provides use of a modem and thus be able to switch back and forth from WIFI to cellular internet. Did you test the Wave with any routers other than the Netgear?

Thanks Jack... we just made your article open to the public, instead of member only. So folks can view it as a webpage if they prefer as well.

www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/wifi-capture-device-testing-wavewifi-rogue-wave-vs-wifiranger-mobileti-pepwave-soho/

Thanks again so much for your support of our little project, we're overjoyed that you choose to contribute your experience and wisdom! Can't wait until our paths cross in person and we can pay up on that dinner :)

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

So, it sounds like it could be used with a Craddle Point or other router that also provides use of a modem and thus be able to switch back and forth from WIFI to cellular internet. Did you test the Wave with any routers other than the Netgear?

No I did not. I tested THEIR package, as I do with all the test equipment. I might do some further testing in the future, though.

www.jackdanmayer.com

No I did not. I tested THEIR package, as I do with all the test equipment. I might do some further testing in the future, though.

Thanks for the response. I can certainly understand your testing what they sent you. I asked because according to the Land and Sea Wifi webpage they sell the Wave Rogue alone or with a choice of two different routers. One from Netgear and one from EnGenius.

Item

• Wave WiFi Rogue Kit
  • Wave WiFi Rogue Kit w/ Netgear Router
  • Rogue w/ High-powered ESR 1221 router

Archived