Overnighting without unhooking

SuiteSuccess

We never unhook if we are just overnighting at somewhere like a truck stop or Walmart. Never know who is around and there seems to be a rise on the pin pulling lately. If we are at a campground and want to be slower the next day leaving, we will unhook. But if just stopping to sleep, we try to find a somewhat level spot and park (with our slides out if possible). With our F350, we would drop our front jacks just to take a bit of weight off the hitch/truck.

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We, too, do not unhook in Walmarts for shorter overnights (longer travel days). We do try to be as level as possible. We often (not always) put out 1 slide (short slide with our recliners) when doing this. We do not put the legs down.

There are so many factors that can factor into this each circumstance - internal fifth wheel layout, travel times/distances, parking situation, etc.

Our floorplan/internal layout allows us to get just about anywhere in the trailer when the slides are in. Some folks have very limited access when the slides are in.

We usually travel longer days. So, we are not in the 250 mile or less club - We often would like to be in that club but our schedule usually does work with that criteria.

Maybe when we grow up and get wiser. ;)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

If we are traveling and stop for the night we try to get level and stay hooked up. The suspension rarely bleeds down since I replaced the valve and reset the connections to the bags.

Thats on my todo list this spring.. Get a new valve.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

PEIFamily, The connections to the air bags were all leaking too. New connections and valve and now the suspension will stay up for weeks

Thanks

I redid my air bag connections, but when sprayed with soapy water, there is always a bubble of air coming out around the opening in the valve where the lever is. Hoping that will fix most of my air issues :)

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I have had to replace 2 level valves. They just don't hold up well. Bags stay up forever. Did replace the bags (originals looking pretty bad) when I was in there installing the ET last year.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I continue to read this topic with interest..

A lot of very good points here, and as an EX HDT owner had decided not to comment.

However, one point that has not been brought up yet I feel is important to point out now.

When I built my HDT I used a separate air compressor, located in the side compartment of my Volvo 610. That makes the hitch totally independent of the HDT air..and not an expensive thing to do.

I loved it for many reasons, one of them was this topic.

When overnighting, I rarely unhooked, unless it was very uneven ground.

I just pulled in, dropped the air on the rear suspension, and then adjusted the independent air on my air hitch back up to level. Then let the 5th wheel legs down to hold that position.

Next morning was simple, as just reverse...

That set up also made it a breeze to hook up, as within reason I rarely had to mess with the 5th wheel legs. Just back up close and adjust the air hitch to the correct level, and back in.

I am somewhat surprised that more HDT's are not set up like this..

As always, JMHO..

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk about getting the tow vehicle away from the trailer in the event of a fire has me thinking again. I have seen/heard about trailers being dropped on tow vehicles, so I made a "pin catcher " to prevent this occurance. This device would prevent the "release the 5th wheel lock and drive out from under the trailer without lowering the landing gear" trick for me. I could make a removeable piece to keep the pin from dropping into the pin catcher but it would have to be put into place before I could drop the trailer without extending the landing gear, I could simply remove the pin catcher or I could leave the pin catcher in place. I strongly suspect that there have been many more instances of dropped trailers than of tow vehicles being lost in trailer fires. I guess a decision would need to be based on the perceived [or actual] chance of these occurances. I would hate to face either scenario but , for now, I think I will leave the pin catcher in place and see what I would have to make to quickly disable it to allow an emergency "drive away and drop". And here I thought I had this thing figured out. Thanks for keeping me thinking........ Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Archived