Xantrex RS 2000 charger function

Ray,IN

Suddenly my Xantrex RS 2000 has a float charge of 14.1V. MH is in my unheated RV garage with temperature near freezing. From reading about float charge levels, it should be 13.1-13.4, is that correct? If so, how do I reduce my charger float level? There is nothing in the owners manual or online addressing the ability to change the float charge voltage for this model. Suggestions and advice please.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you have a temperature sensor then it is doing exactly what it should. At 32 degrees the voltage is raised .75 degrees. That's just about what you are reading. If you don't want it to raise the voltage that high you could disconnect the temperature sensor. Then it should fall back to the 77 degree defaults.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

You should be able to disconnect the temp sensor from the inverter, removing it from the battery connection is not necessary.

If you are overcharging for the temp of the batteries you won't be doing them any good so I'd plug the sensor back in once you confirm it is the reason for the change.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Doing what it is suppose to do. The float will drop as things warm up during the day. In the summer when it is 90+ ours will float at 12.5 Somewhere in the Xantrex manual is a page with a graph showing temperature versus float charge and you will see you are right where it should be.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks Rif, Stan, and Barb! I was scratching my head over this. I'll unplug the temp sensor. I tried lowering the charge percentage from 100 to 50%, had no effect. Tried lowering the total battery amperage from 600 to 300, no effect.

The only difference has been where the temp sensor is located. While re-reading the Xantrex manual I discovered the temp sensor should be laying on a battery, connected to negative post. It was mounted on top of a positive battery terminal, about 1.25" above the battery. Didn't connect that until your advice.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The manual used to say connect the temp sensor to the positive post. Now they say to the negative post.

If there is a malfunction with it connected to the pos post, it will destroy your inverter/charger.

Don't ask me how I know that but if it does, it can't be repaired.

All it does is record temps so either post is good. Except if it malfunctions, then it isn't good if its on the pos post.

Doug

Update: I disconnected the temp sensor, battery voltage immediately dropped to 13.5VDC and 0.00 A input. I haven't checked it since, New Years stuff ya-know. I'll check it today, nothing going on but a lazy day. B) Oh, and FOOTBALL!

Archived