NewRvlyfe

NewRvLyfer

My family and i will be new to this style of life . I am in the process of looking for an RV to purchase. However after i find one , i need to know where i can rent lots space , is it legal with children to live in and RV full time in the state of NJ . I am in Bergen County , willing to go as far South as New Brunswick. Any help , information , links, tips on simple things like how to us a bathroom there and the waste disposal  , maintaining fresh water, what to look for to avoid since i'm looking at RV 6000 and under 

8 hours ago, NewRvLyfer said:

is it legal with children to live in and RV full time in the state of NJ

I'm concerned with whether or not it can be done weather wise. Don't you have winter there? RVs are not known for being good in cold weather. It would help me to know why you think you want to do this?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapees RV Club open forums.Like Linda, I'm a bit concerned about your plan. It would help some if we knew a bit more about you and your family. I can tell you that for a family to live in a small RV you will need to rent space in an RV park where it will then be connected to utilities. When traveling RVs operate from a fresh water tank and all waste goes into tanks which must be emptied into a proper facility found in RV parks and some truck stops. The size of these tanks in small RVs is usually quite limited so with multiple people living in a small travel trailer, this will need to be done very frequently. In addition to paying for the RV park, if you are paying monthly they will also charge you for electricity and you will need to buy propane for heating and cooking. With a budget of $6000, you will be looking at RVs that are not only small, but also 10 or more years old so you need someone to make sure that everything works before you buy, or it could rv, which means a larger, more powerful one.turn into a disaster. And remember that you will also need to have a proper vehicle that is capable of towing the RV. As I look through campground guides for that area, monthly rates seem to fall between $500 & $800 per month.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the Escapees Rv Forum!   Like others have said, you'll likely have problems trying to live fulltime in an RV in your area, especially during the winter.

RVs are meant to travel, and when the weather turns cold most RV parks in snow areas close until spring as most people either put their RVs in storage for the winter or head towards areas with warmer weather.  All of the compromises between livability and ease of movement in an RV are towards movability.  Things like thickness of insulation, quality of construction, space, etc.

You'll be better off looking for a manufactured home (mobile home) in an established park.  It will cost more than $6000 but will be a much better fit for your needs.

Edited by Lou Schneider

3 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

You'll be better off looking for a manufactured home (mobile home) in an established park.  It will cost more than $6000 but will be a much better fit for your needs.

Even then you need to be careful. The mobile home we bought in Texas was not insulated enough for Minnesota.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

That's a tight budget...

You must figure ~$1000-$15000 into that in necessities like a hitch and surge protector. Water filters high on this list and some sort of waste disposal system a must. You may be able to do well with used items.

You didn't mention your experience with RVs but I can say there is a learning curve no matter how much you learn here! Something WILL happen that puts a kink in the experience! My heater went out in January but in mild AZ at the time. Brand new RV! No one could help me! Everything I tried... THEN I got the nerve to pull it apart and since ducted heating dog fur had blown in and got stuck in the sail switch! Pulled it out; put a mesh in front of inlet, no more problems!

I won't try to talk you out of it! Life is full of risks! There's just a few more with RV life it seems. Nothing that can't be overcome but need to be seriously considered, especially the winter weather concerns in the north.

Best of luck!

• 3 months later...

Okay guys, I will be at a park full time in Oregon & will get a used Outdoors or Northwood trailer - rated for all weather w/heated tanks,, underbelly, extra insulation, larger furnace & dual pane windows. I am retired, so no kid issue

Doubt you could get one of these for $10,000 & if you did don’t know what shape it would be in.  If you’re serious about this you need to save more money, join forums, watch instructional videos - learn all you can first before jumping in.  With kids you’ll need a bunkhouse model.