Garmin Maps update and Windows XP

Dick N

I am an Apple iPad  user which does everything I need to do, except for one. The iPad is unable to update my garmin nuvi 65. My mostly mothballed PC has Windows XP. Believe it uses Outlook Express for a browser. The PC will connect to WiFi but will not connect to many internet sites including garmin. Would switching to another browser allow me to connect to garmin or must I install some other operating system to make the connection?

i simply need to perform the GPS maps update and that is it. Have no interest in any hardware upgrades. Anyone have a simple solution?

outlook express is not a browser - it is an email program. Your browser is Internet Explorer.

You could try to install Google CHrome or Firefox and see if either of those work.

If you can access Garmin, then you need to download the latest version of Garmin Express to do your download/install of the map updates.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

I believe both Firefox and Google Chrome have dropped support for Windows XP.  If you have no desire to move up to a current operating system, I think the best course of action would be to find a friend with good Internet access (those Garmin updates are very large).

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

19 hours ago, Dick N said:

I am an Apple iPad  user which does everything I need to do, except for one. The iPad is unable to update my garmin nuvi 65. My mostly mothballed PC has Windows XP. Believe it uses Outlook Express for a browser. The PC will connect to WiFi but will not connect to many internet sites including garmin. Would switching to another browser allow me to connect to garmin or must I install some other operating system to make the connection?

i simply need to perform the GPS maps update and that is it. Have no interest in any hardware upgrades. Anyone have a simple solution?

More than likely, your old PC will not support any modern browser.  Also, very possible that it won't run a fully functional Windows 7 operating system.  Even if your processor and memory are up to standards, the weak point is usually the graphics card capability.

Windows 7 system requirements

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King