Smart car rear wheel alignment

chief916

Looking for info on how to align the rear tires on a 2015 smart Brabus model.  Inside of both rear tires are wearing faster than outside.  I thought I would find some info on the HHR guide but didn't see anything....did I overlook and miss it?  I went through twice. 

Daimler Smart uses a variant of the De Dion tube suspension. The rear wheel assemblies are mounted to the suspension tube by way of a fixed/welded bracket. The Engineers at Daimler designed the rear wheels to have a -2 degree camber for performance and handling. I wanted to try realignment for the same reasons as you, inside tire wear. After studying the design and Engineering of the suspension, I stopped looking at changes to the suspension and decided to simply flip the tires on the rims at about 50% wear to the inside tread bar indicator. These little cars are wonky enough on the highway, I didn't want to further compromise handling by altering the suspension that the German Engineers designed and tested.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:11 PM, Chuck Williams said:

Daimler Smart uses a variant of the De Dion tube suspension. The rear wheel assemblies are mounted to the suspension tube by way of a fixed/welded bracket. The Engineers at Daimler designed the rear wheels to have a -2 degree camber for performance and handling. I wanted to try realignment for the same reasons as you, inside tire wear. After studying the design and Engineering of the suspension, I stopped looking at changes to the suspension and decided to simply flip the tires on the rims at about 50% wear to the inside tread bar indicator. These little cars are wonky enough on the highway, I didn't want to further compromise handling by altering the suspension that the German Engineers designed and tested.

Took your advice and had the wheels flipped.  Thank you for the input.