GOODBY direct tv satellites....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Carlos said:

It just shows up as a device automatically under the stream/cast menu. There’s no “how,” it’s just there. 

Okay, let me see if I can locate this stream/cast menu on my iphone. I went to Best Buy and they were closed for Easter, good to see that, I will try another day this week.

I do understand the issue of pirating and at this point do not wish to partake in a debate. I will say this, if Netflix or any other paid site I subscribe to had the movies for me to watch I would not have to search elsewhere.

Terry

The stream/cast button varies by the application you're using.  I mostly use it with Youtube and Netflix.  The cast icon looks like a square with little semi-circles in the corner, sort of like a wifi icon angled over.  I've never tried to screen cast our pirated shows so I have no idea how to do that specific thing.  My answer really was that streaming and casting to TVs is not proprietary on any modern phone.

I think I understand, I think you are using it with an app because I could not find it otherwise and a google search turned up little to nothing. I normally use Safari on the iphone and watch youtube from there or maybe you are saying there is an icon in that screen, I will take a look.

I don't want to be annoying just not up to snuff on this, bear with me and I will get it.

Terry

Not a problem, everyone uses things differently.  Yes, I always use apps to view video.  I don't use Safari at all, for anything.  If Safari has a video sharing menu it PROBABLY would be in the web service that's running inside it, just a guess.

I just started a pirated TV show from Plex server using Safari.  There was a share icon that looks like the normal one within the Plex web service (not part of Safari itself).  It showed the Chromecast and the Roku as targets, but didn't show the Smart TV itself.  That's different from what I see in the Youtube app, not sure why.

I do know that the Roku does seem to show up as a target for anything I've tried.

I use Plex for my DVDs that I burned to a hard drive. I don't use any pirated movies or shows. I just burn the hard copies that I pay for.  

You can download movies from Netflix and Amazon Prime. Sometimes they expire pretty quick. 

Still use an antenna quite a bit too. I just replaced a Winegard Sensar III with a new Sensar IV head. I like checking out local news when I can get it and see what's going on around me. I don't have that great of a data plan so I'm a bit more "off the grid" when I am on the road and I prefer it that way. 

This article (toward the bottom) lists all the streaming services that allow downloads. 

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2019/04/17/rv-antenna/

Just a reminder - there are still many magnificent parts of the US & Canada where there is no over the air TV or internet available.  If you are addicted to live TV, satellite is about your only option.  While I don't have a TV, I do find XM Radio a solution at places like Big Bend NP...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Made it to Best Buy and purchased the IOGear device, I will install that later with the Roku.

My question, they were showing us 4K TVs that had fantastic pictures, these are store demo loops.

1. Is 4K really that good at home and how much 4K content is out there?

2. What does it take to stream 4K content?

3. Way back when Bluray players came out they showed demos similar to what 4K is now (from what I remember), what is the difference between 4K and Bluray?

4. What does 4K mean, 1080P to 4000P or something different?

Terry

Archived