Remote monitoring of RV temperature and humidity

docj

Quite a few times I have read posts here and elsewhere by people concerned with remote temperature monitoring of their RV's either because the RV is in storage or because they've left a pet in it unattended.  If you still have a S&B residence, you might also be concerned about the temperature in it while you are traveling around the country.

In the past when I've been asked this question, I've attempted to cobble together a solution, but I couldn't identify a simple, off-the-shelf approach.  Recently, a company asked me to test a product which they said would do what I wanted.  They offered to let me test one so I could review it.  I have no business relationship with this company and am not getting any compensation for this review or for testing its product.

As long as there's an internet connection available this little device will let you do this with your phone from virtually anywhere on the planet!  Setup is pretty easy although the instructions could use some rewording.  Using the phone app you use Bluetooth to get the device connected to a wifi network then use the app to read temperature and humidity using WiFi alone.  The instructions aren't very clear that all that happens if you disconnect Bluetooth is that the data is updated every 10 minutes rather than being real time.  You still get all the temp and humidity data, it simply comes in "chunks" every 10 minutes.  The device is powered by 3 AA batteries which the manufacturer says will last six months. There is a battery strength indicator on the app so you get plenty of warning when the batteries do need to be changed.  There are alarm levels that can be set so you don't actually have to look at the app all that often.  After a couple of weeks of use, I can say that it works just as promised.

The device is marketed on Amazon and here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/Temperature-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Calibration-Available/dp/B07FBCTQ3L/ref=pd_sim_b2b_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FBCTQ3L&pd_rd_r=57e3b320-ee73-11e8-9ae7-f7bd06e3c933&pd_rd_w=XBRxY&pd_rd_wg=DZQQJ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0b6f8745-66e2-4766-8b44-154b13ee4892&pf_rd_r=HSBGJ3DH4XEZWCYN07E2&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HSBGJ3DH4XEZWCYN07E2#customerReviews

However, do read the listings carefully, there is a Bluetooth-only version of the device which costs a lot less but offers much less capability IMO.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

32 minutes ago, docj said:

Recently, a company asked me to test a product which they said would do what I wanted.  They offered to let me test one so I could review it. 

May I ask where you publish reviews that prompted this company to approach you?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

59 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

May I ask where you publish reviews that prompted this company to approach you?

Good question.  I don't normally post reviews, but I do post a lot of tech-related stuff on several forums.  I think they noticed me by virtue of that.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 3 weeks later...

We've had great luck with the Canary security system, which also gives us video and audio. It is 120V, but if we plan on relying on it for any more than a few hours, I have a little UPS backup I can use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW31YSE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...

Another possibility that I've used at work is a product from controlbyweb dot com. They have a variety of products that are pretty simple to hook up. I've used them at work to monitor our remote shacks that hold communications gear, and even wrote a BASIC script to avoid using the A/C for cooling when it's cooler than 60F outside by running the exhaust fans and vents.

You can wire up several temperature sensors and a humidity sensor. It has a web interface for configuration and access, can have alerts emailed to you should a reading go out of your set range, and run outlets to trigger a fan or whatever. 

Depending on what you wish to do and control or monitor, there's likely a unit that will meet your needs. They are a helpful supportive company that I'm very impressed with. I am not affiliated beyond being a very satisfied customer. I bought one for my home so I can be alerted to conditions there while traveling. 

They aren't exactly plug and play but pretty darn close. If you're a bit handy, you'll do fine. If you need help, they've answered my emails same day, sometimes even called me back to make it quicker. They have pretty nice solutions in their offerings, and most if not all will run on 12VDC! Prices are reasonable as well.

I hope this helps some here.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."

Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Archived