New Guy seeking advice and a ride

BOB SESANNA

Hello all! I’m new to RVing. I did go with some friends on a couple of RV trips and I enjoyed it. I’d like to make some new friends and hit the road. I’d like to check the road out because I’m thinking of getting my own RV. I’m retired military living just outside of D.C. I spent a lot of time overseas and traveled everywhere but I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen the Grand Canyon as well as many other places here in the states. Time to check things out. I’m a 62 year old male.  Other than that I can drive and exactly enjoy it. I figured I start here on this forum and go from here…Thanks Bob

Welcome, Bob, and thank you for your service. Are you planning to be a full-timer, or just take some extended vacations? I'd suggest that you spend some time thinking about what you eventually want to do. It took us several years of talking and researching before we were ready to buy something as a learner, and another two years before we bought our current coach.

Keep in mind that you will have something towing something else, unless you go with a motor home (MH) and a bicycle or motorcycle for your running around. If you go with a MH, as we did, you can tow a car or truck for the running around. If you go with a travel trailer, aka bumper pull, (TT) or a fifth-wheel (5'er) you will most likely be towing with a truck. Unless you get a converted semi as the tow vehicle and put a Smart Car or similar on it, that truck will be your daily driver.

Don't get caught up in the MH vs towable question yet. Think about what you want to do in the first few years of traveling. Think about your own driving experiences. Have you driven trucks? What do you currently drive? Can it tow something, or can it be towed? We bought a small TT as our learner because the car we had at the time could easily pull it. We knew that trailer wasn't going to be anything BUT a learning experience for us, and that was fine. We learned a lot with it and had a lot of fun.

My suggestion is to first find out whether the vehicle you currently own is capable of either towing something or being towed. If the former, look for a TT in decent condition and use that for some brief trips, then a few longer ones, etc. If your current vehicle isn't a tow vehicle, but can be towed, then look for a MH.

Keep in mind that you will have to spend some money on tow equipment to match vehicle and RV.

What if your current vehicle can't be towed and can't tow anything? That's when you will need to make a decision. If you are leaning toward a MH then get something that you can tow. If you are leaning toward a TT or 5'er then get a truck. Not just any truck, but one that can SAFELY tow whatever you are considering. There are lots of discussions here and on other RV forums about that. DO NOT believe the sales person when he or she tells you that that shiny new F250 can tow anything you want. Learn what numbers you will need to know and what those numbers mean. In other words, ask lots of questions.

Enjoy the research and ask LOTS of questions. One more thing: don't worry about getting the perfect coach. You won't. Many people trade several times in the first few years as they learn what they really need. Buy used, and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

2 hours ago, BOB SESANNA said:

I figured I start here on this forum and go from here…

Welcome to the Escapee forums! You chose a good place to start as we have many folks here with a great deal of RV experience. Feel free to ask as many questions as you think of and we will do our best to help. Do you have any particular type of RV in mind? Have you begun shopping for one yet?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome and thank you for your service and sacrifice to our country. How exciting to know what direction you want to go and now get to research your options, make a choice and start doing it the way you want to!

The first thing I would suggest is one of two things. If your fairly computer savvy, get on YouTube and watch some RV walkthroughs to familiarize yourself with the difference  of different types of RV's. There are everything from Popup trailers, Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Class A, B, C, RPods and A-frames. 

Once you have an understanding of the different types, then you can start to think about how YOU want to RV. Do you want something with a lot of space so you can have others join you or will it just be yourself. How much space do you want? will you be bringing any "toys" like a motorcycle, golfcart, ATV, scooter or bike?

Are you looking for something you can pull into a park and hookup to electric, water and sewer connection or would you rather be out in the middle of nowhere and running off solar or a generator for electric and hauling in water in your camper?

There are so many questions you should ask yourself BEFORE you buy anything. Many people get excited about the thought of RVing and end up going to a dealership to look and learn. Before they know it, a salesman has answered yes to everything you have asked about a particular RV and you own something that you discover isn't meeting all your needs when you get out on the road.

If you have any experienced RV friends, spending an evening with them to discuss whats available to you and what type of RVing you want to do would be the best advise I could give anyone. 

I've never seen a tombstone that said "He was a great employee". Be one but be an even greater husband, father, friend and person. That's whats important.

We, wife and I, were here at the Esacpees Rainbows End in Livingston, Texas had a chance to participate in the Boot Camp. Highly recommend attendance at the three day event. Knowledge that would be acquired piece through mistakes and answers to questions in the campground is given in the three days. 

I was here as a instructor for the RV Driving School, one of four. We were all busy. A large number of newbies going into our great community. 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived