Slide out tilts forward on retract, scrapping the floor

WileyOhio

I have a '12 Open Range R412 recently purchased from a private party.  The kitchen slide tilts inward at the top when retracting, enough to scrape the flooring.  It settles fine when fully open or closed.  I see adjustments on the cable system, just reluctant to mess with it without some guidance.  I've got mechanical skills, but this is new to me.  Any suggestions?

I would call the manufacturer of the slide  system . They are easy ro adjust. But they can get out of adjustment with a small amount of adjustment.

YouTube it.

Now the other thing that may be a problem is the rollers that it rides on may be sunk in the floor as there may not be any support under where they are mounted.

Or there may not be enough of them to support the weight if this is a kitchen slide.

I tried to adjust a new RV with this system. It was not built with enough rollers or any support under the rollers. There was a recall on the unit. 

Safe Travels,.   Vern

We once had a 5er that did that. After much investigating and observing how it worked, I finally decided the slide-topper was wound too tight. I loosened the topper springs  1 revolution which helped. I loosened it another, making 2 revolutions total, and the slide room stopped scraping the floor and seemed to glide just above the floor. That made the topper sag a bit with slide extended, but it was the lesser of two evils.

Just sayin

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for the replies.  I got into the cable adjustments and made some improvement, but it still rocks forward on retracting.  

I took the tension off the slide topper and it didn’t make any difference.  I had hopes for that idea, it made sense.

I noticed that the outside skin on either side of the slide, near the bottom where the mechanism is bulges out on retracting.  Startled me!  I’m going to give a local independent shop a whack at it.  I’ve heard good things about him.

I’ll keep you posted...

Try bring it in a little, stop, wait 15-20 seconds to give it time to rebalance, then bring it in alittle more.  Out big slide will tilt when coming in.  Also thin plastic cutting boards can help leading edge slide without damaging floors.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I made a slight adjustment on the cables, and yes, a small adjustment made a noticeable difference in the movement of the slide.  There is a piece of metal “angle iron” on the leading edge if the bottom of the slide.  I took it off and trimmed a little off where it dragged across the flooring.  Crude but effective.  I hope it didn’t just mask some other problem.  

Thanks for the feedback.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, Barbaraok said:

Try bring it in a little, stop, wait 15-20 seconds to give it time to rebalance, then bring it in alittle more.  Out big slide will tilt when coming in.  Also thin plastic cutting boards can help leading edge slide without damaging floors.  

Same for us and our large slide. Ours has the couch and frig. No problem coming in, but going out, the angle causes it to stick.  Let it settle for a few seconds and ours gently rolls back when we hit the extend button to complete the rollout.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived