new semi retiree

mikehopper63

i am new member & active duty soldier pending retirement in september 2018

i would like to buy a good travel trailer to travel / live in off & on full time in both hot & cold climates but wish to avoid the problems associated with flexible membrane roofs if possible since a previous trailer was ruined due to a deployment & water seeping into it.

i have a light duty chevy silverado 1500 w v8 engine & it is only me who will be using it other than an occasional family member who may tag along now & then but no grandkids or kids of my own will be coming along 

thank you for your support & advice as i really want to get the purchase right the first time

For cold climates you might be better off with an Arctic Fox if your truck can pull one. Although Scamp trailers have good insulation as well if you can live in one that small.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You haven't given us any idea about how much money you are willing to spend, nor how much room you are looking for in a trailer.

Airstream's are very nice.  Also very expensive, even used. They are highly collectable and verge on being a cult.

Molded fiberglass trailers are light enough to be pulled easily by your truck, and completely avoid the roof problem you were talking about.  They mostly are on the small size, but adequate for one or two.  Take a look at:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

7 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Given the parameters, I think you would be happy with an Airstream in the 26 foot and under range.

I must strongly disagree with this for several reasons. Airstream trailers are the most expensive trailer on the market in the US and they are very heavy for towing with your small truck. Here is a fine example in that it is 23' long, weighs in at 6000# and the suggested retail price is only $86,400!

Airstream Serenity 23B

I do agree with considering the fiberglass trailers like Casita and Scamp .KZ Sportsman Classic and roof, and is much less expensive than any of the others listed so far.  We own one of these at present and while it is a reasonably good quality of construction, I would not recommend them for extreme cold weather. 

9 hours ago, mikehopper63 said:

but wish to avoid the problems associated with flexible membrane roofs if possible since a previous trailer was ruined due to a deployment & water seeping into it.

The EDPM roofed RVs are not a bad thing as they will serve well and last a long time if properly maintained and there is no RV roof that is totally maintenance free. Both the Scamp/Casita type and the Airstreams get pretty close but all of them have some areas that use caulking materials to seal roof penetrations. No matter what you buy, check the roof at least annually. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived