Best (I hate using this term) OTA Antenna

I really hate it when somebody puts a what's the best blah blah blah out there then they get back with all this criteria that eliminates most if not all the best whatever they are looking for.

With that being said;

We have Dish network at home and in the 5th wheel, with a Trav'ler antenna and a Hopper 2 that I bought off of Amazon which we turn off and on as needed. I have the normal Bat Wing OTA antenna and have added a wingman to it. 

When we travel outside of our local area we have found that if we change our service address to match where we are it messes up the DVR at home. I bought the Dish OTA adapter and set it up in the trailer. Now when we travel I leave the service address at home and just use the OTA. The batwing works well but…………..

Is there a better OTA antenna than the batwing that is at least as convenient as the batwing?  

(We have tried a King Jack replacement and lost performance.)

Thanks

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

The batwing plus the Wingman add-on is as good as it gets on the crank up antenna end, but the performance can be boosted even more by replacing the inside power injector with a Winegard SensarPro power injector/amplifier/signal strength meter combination.

The batwing is becoming even better as more stations move back to low and high VHF channels as part of the current channel repack. Those long "batwings" are there for a reason...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I love the bat and wing its like a surprise getting to watch different stuff for a change as LONG as DW gets her soaps !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The batwing plus the Wingman add-on is as good as it gets on the crank up antenna end, but the performance can be boosted even more by replacing the inside power injector with a Winegard SensarPro power injector/amplifier/signal strength meter combination.

The batwing is becoming even better as more stations move back to low and high VHF channels as part of the current channel repack. Those long "batwings" are there for a reason...

SAY WHAT  Dutch  Now itemize these products and where to get and price and of course step by step installation instructions. My brain starts hurtin when I have to think to much !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

16 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Thanks Dutch, I ordered one from Amazon.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

6 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

SAY WHAT  Dutch  Now itemize these products and where to get and price and of course step by step installation instructions. My brain starts hurtin when I have to think to much !

There may be better pricing around, but here's the Amazon links for the Wingman ($31.80) and SensarPro ($65.34):

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-WING-Installation-Increases-Reception/dp/B001U2DPUE/

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-332-SensarPro-Signal-Strength/dp/B004NFTOLY/

The Wingman is attached to the batwing housing by removing the existing rubber bumpers and attaching the Wingman using the included push rivets. Takes about 5 minutes plus climbing and descending time. Pliers may be needed to pull out the rubber bumpers. No wiring is required.

On edit: The purpose of the Wingman is to improve the UHF performance of the batwing antenna. It makes it more directional, but increases the signal strength from UHF stations.

The SensarPro replaces the existing power inserter in the coach, the plate with the little push button and LED that you use to turn on the antenna amplifier. There are some variations on hookups depending on your setup, but the instructions that come with it are pretty comprehensive.

Dutch

4 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

Thanks Dutch you made it easy I already have the Wing so no climbing .

Great! The SensarPro isn't difficult to install, but the various wiring options can be confusing at times.

Dutch

Archived