Dual Invertor Generator Deal?

RV_

OK,

I just ran across this at Newegg Flash sale and have not seen this brand generator before. They are selling two of the Pulsar i2000s quiet generators and the parallel connector kit for what seems like a cheap price to me. Anyone have one? See it here: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA08C6V29837?utm_source=NFEmail030818&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=SaleBanner_B3V_9SIA08C6V29837&cm_mmc=EMC-NFEmail030818-_-SaleBanner_B3V_9SIA08C6V29837-_-NA-_-9SIA08C6V29837

Whatcha think folks, good deal or run?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

25 minutes ago, RV_ said:

OK,

I just ran across this at Newegg Flash sale and have not seen this brand generator before. They are selling two of the Pulsar i2000s quiet generators and the parallel connector kit for what seems like a cheap price to me. Anyone have one? See it here: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA08C6V29837?utm_source=NFEmail030818&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=SaleBanner_B3V_9SIA08C6V29837&cm_mmc=EMC-NFEmail030818-_-SaleBanner_B3V_9SIA08C6V29837-_-NA-_-9SIA08C6V29837

Whatcha think folks, good deal or run?

Lot cheaper than getting the Honda 2000's, but at 59 db vs the honda's 53 db [presumably both at low speed] it is quite a bit louder.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Thanks, 

I look at the loudness ratings as the same as EPA mileage figures, they are not across the board and usually in the manufacturers favor. That's why I am asking folks who own/owned that genset. Do you own it or the Honda by comparison?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks, 

I look at the loudness ratings as the same as EPA mileage figures, they are not across the board and usually in the manufacturers favor. That's why I am asking folks who own/owned that genset. Do you own it or the Honda by comparison?

I do have two hondas and the parallel kit. I don't think I have never seen a pulsar, but sometimes one company makes a generator and a bunch of other manufacturers buy it and put their label on it, so maybe. I do know from walking around campgrounds for many years, that most "honda like" 2000 watt inverter/generators are a lot louder than the "real" honda. The only exception is the Yamaha. Noise and reliability are big factors for me, and maybe the pulsar is both reliable and quiet, but one wonders how someone can build a "honda quality" generator for 60% less. By the way, bought mine after Hurricane Ike in 2008 and they are still running strong. Hope you find someone who has the pulsar and had put some hours on it, and has listened to it side by side with the honda. I will go cheap, on many things, but for tires and generators, I would rather not experiment.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Deal-wise.. it's not bad, but not the greatest either. You can buy new units from ebay for $350 and a parallel kit for $100. All U.S. sellers and free shipping. Shopping around you might find better, but quite honestly, I didn't look any further. "Full" standard pricing is what? $425ish. So the newegg deal would be something like, "buy 2, get a free parallel kit! A $100 value!".

As far as the gensets themselves... the price should be a good indication of what you're getting. It's a knock-off with a smaller engine, plenty of plastic internals and all proprietary so parts and servicing aren't really in it's future.

Big suprise... I've never owned one. I do know that their 1600 watt continuous rating is questionable. I've both seen and heard about them metered at 1400-1500 continuous. That's likely just engine related tuning or production variations in electical components, but still.

Not everyone "needs" a full 1600 watt continuous, a "bulletproof" portable or are genset reliant. For the occassional long weekend get-a-way it may be perfectly suitable. Longevity is a bit of a crap shoot. ;)

6 hours ago, jcussen said:

I do have two hondas and the parallel kit. I don't think I have never seen a pulsar, but sometimes one company makes a generator and a bunch of other manufacturers buy it and put their label on it, so maybe. I do know from walking around campgrounds for many years, that most "honda like" 2000 watt inverter/generators are a lot louder than the "real" honda. The only exception is the Yamaha. Noise and reliability are big factors for me, and maybe the pulsar is both reliable and quiet, but one wonders how someone can build a "honda quality" generator for 60% less. By the way, bought mine after Hurricane Ike in 2008 and they are still running strong. Hope you find someone who has the pulsar and had put some hours on it, and has listened to it side by side with the honda. I will go cheap, on many things, but for tires and generators, I would rather not experiment.

JC, right on the mark with the Hondas

For a while I got roped into managing a barge-crane outfit and we used a lot of Honda gens of various sizes and some of the units were connected to big tanks so runs of 200 Hours at rated load were common and NEVER had a failure or a shutdown.......the Honda's were never built for long-run times but they have the quality to keep on running seemingly for ever.

I have a THIRTY YEAR old EM-650 itty-bitty Honda and it has SEVERAL THOUSAND HOURS on it so it likely has FIFTY gallons of oil changes and THREE spark plugs...........still runs like a........HONDA.

IF you run your Honda long enough they are FREE and then they just keep paying you back.

One thing that works well is that we run Non-ethenol gas so that helps a LOT (mostly 100LL avgas......(by mistake of course)).

Drive on..........(Honda ...........pull the rope and your.....up and running)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived