Anyone Using a HughesNET Gen 5 Internet Setup?

Zulu

We travel and boondock for much of the summer and I do a website for a union and my main site (see below) and need good internet. Had a DataStorm Sat System for 10 years and it got 1.2M down but stopped working as old technology. 
So got one of the first deployed HughesNetGen5 Mobile units.
Normally the new Gen5 service is only for stationary use but we are allowed to use it as a mobile and that means we don't have to call Hughes to get registered when we move. This is a spot beam service so a lot more complicated. After noticing we were not following pointing procedures, we discovered what we were doing wrong, and it came right up and we locked on to the spot beam. Much easier than we thought it would be. Not much more than setting up a DirecTV portable dish. We got this system through the wonderful folks at http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/index.php
Barb and Joe are great to work with and made it so easy to learn how to make this work for us and got us moved up to get this as we were pressed for time leaving the Tucson area. 
Now a few things to know about this mobile service. Hughes requires you to buy a business account through a vendor like above and use a .98 dish unlike a residential .78 oval dish (like a DirecTV dish). So a little bigger to carry around but it is 3' 3" round so not that huge. All you need to know is at the above link and feel free to contact Barb with questions. We could not be more happy with our service. Oh, and BTW Hughes gives you unlimited downloads for the first 20 days so you can update any large files you may need. And if and when you use up your download limit they don't cut you off but allow download speeds of about 3 Meg. So even that is fast for satellite internet, methinks. My old DataStorm F1 dish that I had for over 10 years had a max of 1.2 download speed. With this, I will still have double that speed even when over my download limit. WOW can't beat that. And as a backup we have Verizon 4G grandfathered unlimited data when in a good service area. And if in poor service area we have a Willson WeBoost Cell Amp we are good to go with a backup system. 

gen5camphostsite.jpg

RV Travel Adventures and Journals

Hitchitch Personal Fulltime.Hitchitch.com

Archived