Texas DPS vehicle inspection near Austin, TX

morninghill

If you get the inspection done there you will have to do the smog part where Polk county does not require them. In areas where smog is required, the inspectors are only allowed to do the full inspection, which will cost extra.  You can use this link to locate the nearest inspection stations, then call to see if they will do your motorhome. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I know that these guys will do it, but they are in South Austin. Diesels are exempt from emissions testing and would be easy. Gas may be trickier if they have to attach their machine - so you may call to check, if gas motorhome.

1626 Inspections  (map link) Manchaca, TX (this one looks tight but, if diesel, you can park across the street in the triangle island area and they will do the inspection there) These guys are great and have done our HDT/Fifth wheel (65')  for the past 7 years. If gas you may need to pull in next to the shop for them to connect the emissions testing computer. 

You may also try Camper Clinic II (512-312-1478) or Crestview RV Center (512-282-3516) (Both in Buda - near Cabela's)

All of these are not too far from the Austin airport area.

You could try Bastrop or Hays County (nearest counties to ABIA airport) where emissions testing is not required, but it does depend on the county you are registered (if gas). If you are registered in an emissions county and you are inspecting a gas vehicle then you must get emissions tested.

Inspections 1626 Overview

xyAJKNTl.jpg

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

14 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Only gas engines are smogged, diesel are not smogged.

Good point, but not all motorhomes are diesel powered. I assume that the inspection they get is the same in smog counties? I really don't know but it might be worth checking? I guess that I never really gave it much thought as I didn't own a diesel when we were fulltime. I do now but plates come due while we are typically at home base. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Quick check list for safety inspection portion here

Inspection Operations Manual for more detailed list

Regular Safety inspection portion is the same (with the exception of a few small item differences between motorcycles. trailers, motor homes, passenger cars, trucks see links above) Commercial vehicle inspection is a different set of rules so if your motor home is large enough AND is used commercially then it requires a different classification of inspection (See manual above). 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

5 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

I know that these guys will do it, but they are in South Austin. Diesels are exempt from emissions testing and would be easy. Gas may be trickier if they have to attach their machine - so you may call to check, if gas motorhome.

1626 Inspections  (map link) Manchaca, TX (this one looks tight but, if diesel, you can park across the street in the triangle island area and they will do the inspection there) These guys are great and have done our HDT/Fifth wheel (65')  for the past 7 years. If gas you may need to pull in next to the shop for them to connect the emissions testing computer. 

You may also try Camper Clinic II (512-312-1478) or Crestview RV Center (512-282-3516) (Both in Buda - near Cabela's)

All of these are not too far from the Austin airport area.

You could try Bastrop or Hays County (nearest counties to ABIA airport) where emissions testing is not required, but it does depend on the county you are registered (if gas). If you are registered in an emissions county and you are inspecting a gas vehicle then you must get emissions tested.

Inspections 1626 Overview

xyAJKNTl.jpg

Thanks for the info. Took the toad there today. No problem but the traffic from where we’re parked is something we’d like to avoid in the coach.

Main Lane in Bastrop says they will do it, just park on the grass on the roadside. Same travel time as 1626, but much less high speed congestion.

Mike & Molly

Archived