Supplemental Brake Force Setting

MilesAndSmiles

Our Blue Ox Patriot II supplemental braking system allows us to set the braking force anywhere between 1 and 10. The problem is that there is nothing in the instructions to suggest how to choose the right setting for your needs!

We are driving a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A, pulling a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee weighs about 4000 lbs.

Right now I've got the braking force set to 7, but that's just pulling a number out of a hat. Any suggestions?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

I found operating instructions for the Patriot on the internet operating instructions for the Patriot on the internetif you do not have a copy. I the installation notes I did find the following information.

For a traditional vehicle, the GAIN setting should be kept between settings 5 and 9. In a hybrid vehicle, the GAIN setting should be kept between settings 1 and 3.

I have never used the Patriot but did tow using a Brake Buddy for many years and it works much the same way. I always set mine up to only apply the aux. brake when I was braking hard, but then I set it to press hard and get into the ABS of the towd. I suspect that your setting of 7 is probably getting pretty close to what I used as it would be right in the middle of the span. I might even go a bit higher. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived