Fifth wheel hitch

DOZRDOG

I have a 2017 2500 Chevy HD and I just bought a 32 foot fifth wheel. I’m trying to find out what is the best hitch for a short bed? I also wanted to know if anybody has installed the Reese Sidewinder? And if yo I have what are your thoughts on it? Thanks

My bed is 6'4", I use an Anderson Ultimate.  So far good but I have not tried any real tight turns with it yet.  So far, I like it.  I'm pulling a 32ft'r at the moment also.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Get something with an airbag. Far too many fifth wheels have cracked frames so the easier you can treat the stress on the hitch the better.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The Andersen Ultimate uses a bolt on pin adapter that can be reversed to give you an additional 5 inches or so clearance. I did that with my 2006 Ram Diesel 2500 short bed. I disliked the short bed ride so much when no trailer hitched that I began a three month search for a low mileage long bed Ram diesel 2500, which we now own. Much better ride off load. Parking in the back of many lots is a small price to pay. Keeps me from as many door dings too.

Watch the Videos on the Andersen website. I bought mine used for $250 and it was never used as the owner had a welding bed on his 1 ton with a recessed ball hitch, so the ball attached version could not be installed. My new Scamp fiver also came with a Reese ball hitch that goes right on my Reese rails.

Having a ball hitch in my last truck made the Andersen the most economical used or new as it secures to the goose neck ball, so no new hitch and installation needed for anyone with a good ball hitch in the bed. And it is very secure.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I used a Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder for 5 years on a small 29' fifthwheel with a 2012 F150 with Ecoboost and 5'6" box. It was a very good unit for travelling and very stable in winds and rough roads. I used a Reese 15000 fifth wheel that I had no end of grief with . It stuck closed once too often . I replaced it with a B and W Companion that was flawless.The only fear I ever had was knowing that the setup was specific . The adapter plate had to be set up for the fifth wheel and checked for position regularly . I checked tightness on the adapter plate bolts often. If I had a breakdown the Sidewinder would need a modification and the head locked to be hitched to anything but a B and W Companion hitch.  

Archived