Great Buy on Refurb Last model Fire Tablets

RV_

Dennis,

Thanks for getting that back to us. I fly a combination car and quad copter with HD camera and use their controller. I am waiting for a few more generations of quads are done with long flight times. I get ten minutes per battery pack with mine and I have five battery packs.

What I would like is an app that worked with VR goggles for flight and the camera being the only view, which takes care of the glare issues. I already am doing VR and have two sets of goggles. I am new to it. SO I'lll stick with my X-25-1 quad.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

I am waiting for a few more generations of quads are done with long flight times. I get ten minutes per battery pack with mine and I have five battery packs.

What I would like is an app that worked with VR goggles for flight and the camera being the only view,

Been out for years, RV_ (where's my head today??). ;) Even lower cost "sport" drones like the Phantom 3's, and Mavic Pro already mentioned are all more than capable of 23-27 min +/- on a standard battery pack (that's landing with the recommended 15%SOC). Auxillary batteries can also be added to extend that, but I typically don't. Range is more of a limitation. Quoting the same 3 again... top speeds in 0mph winds are 35-40mph and some of the Phantom 4's will do 30min and top speeds ~45mph. The Mavic is best suited for the later generations of VR googles, but the Phantoms can use them too.

Of course.. most folks don't run their drones "flat out" as the flight time will decrease. A lot of hovering will kill battery life as well.

They'll take off themselves, land themselves, return to their take-off position automatically if controller signal is lost, the batteries run too low or if their GPS satellite locks drop below a user set value (usually around 7-9 sats).  Fly a pretermined flight plan with waypoints automatically (Litchi), lock on to a visual subject and follow them/it or circle at altitude automatically.... Some in the same class range are equipped with obstacle avoidance... jeez.. the list goes on and on. ;)

Cameras vary. Dennis's has the lowest resolution so he can only shoot in.. actually... I don't know which camera he has. Either an FHD or a 2.7k, but probably the FHD. ONLY FHD!  Poor Dennis. :lol: 4k cameras are common.

I better stop. We could do a whole sub-forum on drones. Needless to say.. even the "sport" class models are quite highly capable and regularly used in professional video production.

2 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I got to fly the P3 with the Fire tablet and it did just fine.  I did a video and had no problems.  Now if I could just see the screen because of the glare it would be great.

NICE! Did you get any break-up/stutter on the flight path track? I noticed some folks were mentioning that and found it was having a difficult time processing all of the telemetry info coming in. Did you happen to try satellite view?

That's pretty cool though. I use a folding 3 sided visor. Not that paraticular one, but just in case you didn't know what I was referring to. Pretty easy to make your own. They also have a full hood available, but they are in the $50 range and I don't particularly like having my face glued to a hood, but they "really" work well. 

Really glad that worked out and appreciate the follow-up. Next you'll have to see how it handles multiple flights back to back. Just tell your wife you "have to" go flying.... It's a class assignment. ;)

5 hours ago, ewacowboy said:

Haha....I'm DEFINITELY not an apple guy....that's never going to happen ;) 

I hear ya. I always used to say the same. This air 2 is the first apple product I've ever owned and I have a love/hate relationship with it. At the time it was the best display, graphics driver and memory and fastest processor with a decent amount of RAM. I bit thinking I didn't want my drones to outgrow my pad.

It's supposed to be a decent pad and I thought I "might" try to use it for other things, but NOPE. All I ever use it for is flying. Too dang frustrating trying to figure out how to do the simplest of tasks... and moving a file?? What a PITA. I dread every time DJI comes out with a GO update. The update itself is a non-issue (wireless), but every time it updates wirelessly it overwrites my 32-channel mod.

Just overwriting that ONE dang little file into the app folder to get all of my channels back is such a pain... and it's always JUST long enough since the last update that I forgot how I did it last time and I'm back to youtube relearning how to move 1 stinking file from my laptop to the air 2. :lol:

Yarome,

You'd love my Surface Pro 4, i7 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10. Does DJI have Windows 10 apps?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

DJI have Windows 10 apps?

Not at present. Only android and ios, although I am sure there is some way to run android apps on a windows box, it wouldn't be very functional strapping a full sized tablet or such on to a contoller. Even the air 2 makes mine rather top heavy and I generally use a strap to make the weight more manageable. 

The reason I asked is that there are some new and refurbished Windows tablets clearing out after the holiday sales. As well there are always excellent 7 and 8" Android tablets. I bought one of the dual boot mini PCs (Android 5 and Windows 8.1) that are not supposed to take updates to Windows 8.1. Mine was updated to 10, then all updates to current with no problems. I never use the Android and disabled the dual boot choice.

Here is an example if you want a Windows 10 compact tablet, and Android in one well under $100.00 I am showing as an example as I have not owned this tablet:

https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_598248.html?wid=21

If you scroll down you see Q&A as well as reviews. I have done very well with thee folks. They are not great on returns, and customer service is not great either. However, that has not been a major issue for me. They will not accept a return because of user remorse.

I always wondered why the dual boot but I guess if you needed a small tablet for a dedicated task or as a back up when you have only one main computer I could see this.

The concern for the 32GB storage is ameliorated by it having a micro SD slot, that handles 128GB cards, for much more storage. IT also has HDMI out and can handle BT or USB receiver plug and play kb and mouse sets that use a shared USB receiver (OTG).

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived