Thinking of getting a classic HDT, Gageing interest in selling my HDT

mr. cob

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Howdy SuiteSuccess,

Nice truck but the 3.7 axle ratio and the 10 speed are deal killers for me.  Thanks for looking.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I have looked at a truck that would suit my future needs.  Its a 2001 379 Pete, 13 speed, 3.55 axle ratio, C15, 500 horse power Cat with 110,000 miles on a complete rebuild with paper work to back it up, 1.4 million total miles on the truck.  New paint, new tires all the way around, just enough bling to set off the shiny Black paint, interior is in great shape, its long enough to carry a Smart Car.  I am trying now to see if I can get the contact information for the guy who traded it in on a brand new truck, I really like this truck but for the money I want to talk to the guy who owned it.  If I can talk to the previous owner and like what I hear then I have the problem of where would I park it until my Faithful ole Columbia is sold, first world problem I guess.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If you can swing the numbers you should do it. Your desire for a long nosed conventional is just as irrational as my desire for a cab over with no chrome. But it never has stopped me, and it shouldn't stop you. It just so happens your choice of tractors is far more mainstream, so it isn't really irrational at all. Your intense feelings on this and other topics is why I consider it an honor to know you. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Hmm, this has me intrigued Dave. Did I miss what engine is in your Freightliner or what it's rated at? The only bad thing is that rampage lift I bought at the Rally would cover up that box on the bed, one of the main reasons you didn't want to go with it on your truck. However, you do have a bed so I could just go with ramps to load a bike up there. 

Of course I would need to get rid of my low mileage Volvo 610 (486k on a D60 12.7 with 10spd manual) which I'm sure there would be some interest on this forum for that too. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

15 hours ago, beyerjf said:

If you can swing the numbers you should do it. Your desire for a long nosed conventional is just as irrational as my desire for a cab over with no chrome. But it never has stopped me, and it shouldn't stop you. It just so happens your choice of tractors is far more mainstream, so it isn't really irrational at all. Your intense feelings on this and other topics is why I consider it an honor to know you. 

Howdy Jeff,

Thanks for your words of encouragement in my pursuit of HDT bliss.  We eccentrics have to stick together no one else can fathom what makes us tick.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

Hmm, this has me intrigued Dave. Did I miss what engine is in your Freightliner or what it's rated at? The only bad thing is that rampage lift I bought at the Rally would cover up that box on the bed, one of the main reasons you didn't want to go with it on your truck. However, you do have a bed so I could just go with ramps to load a bike up there. 

Of course I would need to get rid of my low mileage Volvo 610 (486k on a D60 12.7 with 10spd manual) which I'm sure there would be some interest on this forum for that too. 

Howdy Dan,

Thanks for your PM, it was nice talking to you on the phone.

I guess I should have mentioned this in my first post, the engine in my truck is a 12.7, series 60 Detroit rated at 430-470 horse power I honestly don't know the torque rating but it gets the job done.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

20 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

"IF" its priced at 14K its WAY TO CHEAP from what I have seen and looked at, a Pete in that shape can't be had for 14K.  I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Dave

I have seen that truck with different pic on CL northern CA too........Figured it was a scam by the ultra low and uneven selling price.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Howdy All,

I was dealing on a 2001 379 Pete, beautiful truck, rebuilt engine but when looking at it I noticed some things missing such as the heating air conditioning unit that should have been mounted under the bunk in the sleeper.  Today I called Peterbilt, and after running the vin number by them was informed that the truck had been built at the Denton Texas plant and it had left the factory with such a unit in place.  This makes me wonder what other parts aren't on the truck and as such it is no longer being considered as my next truck.  For the money they are asking for this truck I know I could find a Volvo with much more going for it then this truck offers, but I don't want a Volvo so the search continues.  If the right truck comes up I am prepared to jump on it so I am not going to settle for less then what I want.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived