2010 F350 Check engine light

I've recently been having issues with my 2010 F350. The check engine light has come on and when I have it checked at Auto Zone I get a 2002 code which says I need exhaust filter serviced. I had it cleaned at the Ford Dealer but the check engine light has come back on. To replace the filter is about $2000. Any body else deal with this issue?

Thanks.....Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

You did a regen drive? Your exhaust filter is self cleaning but requires a sufficient amount of time to complete the burn off. If you have the average mileage readout I would imagine you've seen a noticeable drop off. If that jives I would take it out on the highway and run it for awhile... and it might take awhile.. (40-50miles or more) to let your rig complete the regen. You'll know when it is complete when your average mileage readout pops back up to normal. Ie., if your average is 15 it might drop down to 10-12 then pop back up to 15 when it's completed.

If it has gotten REALLY bad.. to the point where the filter is clean.. but the sensor may still be fouled then you'll need a trip into the dealer to get that resolved.

Since you didn't mention message readout on your dash I'm assuming your don't have the OCR option installed in your rig.. but check your manual just to be sure.

If you had fairly constant speeds.. not a lot of slow and go.. then that's a little odd. It's going to want to regen around every 250 miles or so. Are you getting any smoke out of your exhaust? Bad fuel could also foul you up. I imagine you already checked your DEF levels?

If all else fails I would take it into a dealer rather than auto zone. They would be more likely to be able to diagnose if it's a sensor failure or if the filter actually needs to be replaced.

How many miles on the engine? Eventually the filter gets full and has to be removed and manually cleaned or replaced. I don't recall the mileage but it's pretty high (150-200K maybe?)

I just went through a similar regen issue with mine but I only have 15k miles. Dealer updated the ECM, and suggested cetane booster; the cetane booster seems to have helped the issue greatly since I'm not getting warning lights anymore and the frequency of regen cycles is more in line with where it should be.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Paul: I had a service required light come on our 2007 Dodge. I went to OReillys and their cumpter showed a water in fuel code. I drained the filter and just punched the light off when it would come on. About three thousand miles later the truck quit running at the crossroads in Downtown Artisia Nm. with 3 ft. snowdrifts from the Christmas snowstorm. Got pulled to the Dodge dealership, The diesel partical filter had stopped up and backed sut back to the engine and shut it down. It cost $10,947.20 To get it fixed, I did feel a little ripped off, but had no choice but to get it fixed there. That was at 140000 miles.

I guess the moral to this story is to get the lights checked by a good shop.

LIFE IS STILL GOOD!!!

Freddy

Freddy & Delcie Prather

Echo- Yorkie
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Jake Brake #5000 Air Bags
2005 Mobile Suites 36RE3
Full Time Since Oct 1st 2009

Dealer updated the ECM,

It's likely unrelated to the current issue, but for the earlier PSD's I would highly recommend the ECM and module flash updates. Last year I was having some wonky intermittent issues with a WIF error I could have thrown a lot of money at, but at my mechanics off-hand suggestion, he went ahead and performed the ECM update and flashed 5 other modules. Problems SOLVED... along with a quieter idle and increased torque as the result. It wasn't entirely cheap. Just under $100 to update the ECM and $20 a pop on the modules, but it turned out to be money well spent.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all. The check engine light is now out (not showing on dash). I will get to a Ford dealer here in Houston the first of next week to have it checked.....AGAIN!

In the Dallas areas I understand some of the muffler shops will cut the filters open and clean them then reinstall saving hundreds of dollars. You might check this out

Archived