Arizona's definition of an HDT as a motorhome

tippey

I believe that Big5r is correct here but we're not in AZ .

Yes you can put what ever weight you want on your Reg. But you can't tow anymore than that weight whether it's tongue weight or trailer axle weight.

In California where they get a lot of people is that if you have three axles your trailer is capable of pulling over 10,000 pounds even though you may not be pulling more than 10,000 pounds .

So if your bobtail or towing a trailer less than 3000 pounds you would be just fine. But if you tow any kind of travel trailer or fifth wheel you're automatically going to be over your 26,000 pounds you're planning on .

As an example my truck weighs just under 20,000 pounds by itself. My trailer loaded is at 18,000 pounds . So I would need a wait sticker of approximately 40,000 pounds to remain legal .

It's not just tounge weight at least in CA.

I believe that Big5r is correct here but we're not in AZ .

Yes you can put what ever weight you want on your Reg. But you can't tow anymore than that weight whether it's tongue weight or trailer axle weight.

In California where they get a lot of people is that if you have three axles your trailer is capable of pulling over 10,000 pounds even though you may not be pulling more than 10,000 pounds .

So if your bobtail or towing a trailer less than 3000 pounds you would be just fine. But if you tow any kind of travel trailer or fifth wheel you're automatically going to be over your 26,000 pounds you're planning on .

As an example my truck weighs just under 20,000 pounds by itself. My trailer loaded is at 18,000 pounds . So I would need a wait sticker of approximately 40,000 pounds to remain legal .

It's not just tounge weight at least in CA.

Actually, I can tow more than that weight, but my truck can never have more than 25.5k lbs on its two axles,....whether it's towing a 35k lb trailer, or just bobtailing. The weight that you put on your registration is not the Gross Combined,...its the Gross Vehicle Weight. There is a difference between GVWR and GCWR, which is what the example that you gave in regards to your truck and trailer. If someone with a Class C license with an air brake endorsement drives my truck bobtail or tow a trailer less than 3k lbs, then they would be fine.

At this point, I'm glad that there is a better way than what I was given. I will share that information with some friends who are in the market for an HDT. Like I said, I had a CDL prior to buying my truck. Declassifying my truck was for the purpose of registration and insurance.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

Yep declared my weight as 25,950 lbs so Blue Sky would call it commericial. The Addition of the Motor Carrier Fee doubles the registration.

On the CDL I can only tell you what was told to me by commercial ADOT road officer and the Commericial ADOT officer at the Holbrook MVD. A CDL requied and class A because the trailer weighed over 10,000 lbs. What ever you do like other States have it in writting.

For sure don't go to a reqular MVD the no jack about the HDT that include not only clerks but supervisors as well.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Thank you Dwain and Bob. We most definitely won't be going to or using an MVD and that's for sure! :)

If/when it all comes together we got a great insurance quote today on the supposition that our new 2001 Volvo will be listed as an MDT in SD Tomorrow we head for the scales to provide the mail fwd service a scale weight to take to MVD in SD on our behalf. I think... this is starting to come together and that is because we've had such great support and knowledge thru this forum.

THANKS GUYS! We are starting our complete transition from AZ residents to SD residents.

Tipper

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

Archived