Towing Equipment for Toad

usaperuvian

We purchased an excellent running toad. It is a 98 Chevy Cavalier and it already has a towmaster plate on the front of the RV. Are these standard? Or do I have to purchase a certain brand (i.e. blue ox) towbar to fit it? It also has a socket area for a wire connection. Should I only look at towbars with shocks? If you can help educate me on towing a toad it would be greatly appreciated. Our 99 Rexhall Rexair already has a brake controller installed. Do you think I should purchase a new model (because they maybe new inventions that are safer)? Any and all comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Joani (& Alberto)

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

Since you have a roadmaster tow plate I'd look into a roadmaster tow bar. We use the SMI braking system for our diesel pusher and toad braking. We have been very happy with it. Yes its a little pricy but we scoured the internet and bought it at Dyers RV on sale for about $800. Its easy to hookup and go

We use blue ox product for tow bar and base plate

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

It is a 98 Chevy Cavalier and it already has a towmaster plate on the front of the RV. Are these standard? Or do I have to purchase a certain brand (i.e. blue ox) towbar to fit it?

Actually, most tow bars would probably fit, or have adapters available to fit. Are you sure that your car's base-plate isn't one from Roadmaster? If so it is likely easiest of you buy a Roadmaster tow-bar as well but you may want to consider others via adapters.

Should I only look at towbars with shocks?

By this I am guessing that you mean shocks with retractable arms and if that is so, then it is the only thing that I would consider. The rigid arm type of tow-bar can be very difficult to hook up and unhook. Two examples of the type I mean is below.

31a86NlgozL._SY355_.jpg313sl21rsiL._AA160_.jpg\\

Do you think I should purchase a new model (because they maybe new inventions that are safer)?

That just depends upon what kind of brake control it has in it now. We could give you much better advise if you would tell us what make and model the controller is. It might be one that is as old as the RV but it could also be one that is current.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived