Turn Signal Lights on Mirrors

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to add turn signal lights on the bottom of the mirrors. I need help with the wiring. Where would you connect into ? Would you spice into the wires going to side turn signal lights on the cab ? Or would you go the fuse box ? Where would be the best location ?

I hope Sibernut will see this post. I understand that he made this mod on his truck.

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Al,

I did something similar on mine--I put LED strips down the outside edge of mirror. The easiest place to tie in is the cab turn signal repeater. Just be prepared for the base of that light to be cracked--most are. You can fish the wire behind the inside trim pretty easy--pull up the threshold, tuck it in with wiring that's already there, and up the side of the instrument panel to the mirror. If you really want it hidden, you can run it up the inside of the dash, but mine are just tucked along the door seal.

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I just used a single strip of waterproof side-emitting LEDs: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/side-emitting/side-emitting-led-light-strips-outdoor-led-tape-light-with-18-smdsft-1-chip-smd-led-335/1542/

You could probably use those arrows, but I wanted something that wouldn't be bothersome at night. The way they're mounted, the only way I see the light from them is reflecting off of the motorhome--but no one next to or behind me would miss them.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Not necessarily, but you have to scrape the reflective surface on the back of the mirror where the LEDs are for them to shine through. I've seen some of these installed to where they looked like a factory job, but others look pretty horrific. I guess I'm just not crazy about making irreversible changes to a pricey Volvo part.

Another thing you may need to consider: I'm not sure how the mirror heating element is configured if your mirrors are heated. Wouldn't want to scrape through a heating trace and render that inoperable, especially since you're pretty far north.

Just got back from Chris's place. He has switched the wiring for the HID lights. Anyway re the arrow indicators, there is some plastic on the back of the mirror which he would not feel comfortable cutting or whatever it would need. So It looks like the Led strip. We looked at the mirror and were not sure where to fasten it. I don't want it shining in my eyes when the indicator is on. Seems like pretty much everything is on a 45 degree angle, either facing me or the side of the center of the road.

I figure mirror mount indicators of some type would be an asset. People seem to park alongside me when I'm on the road....it may wake them up. Either that or a 2 million candlepower night sun search light.

Just read your post again...this far north? Bellingham is north of me...also, I have no intention of being around here when or if temps get that cold. The gameplan is to be South of the Florida Panhandle around Tampa. Besides, we were cutting the lawn on the back 40 late January while the whole East Coast of USA and the Maritimes were in a perpetual deep freeze for weeks if not months at the same time I'm logging miles on my bike.

Not a fan of the turns on the mirror. I have had problems with them causing visibility issues for me while changing lanes or backing up when using the four ways.

Also if you think about it. A light on the mirror is above the roof line of a car along side you. You need it mounted down at their eye level and extremely bright.

You might want to think about mounting a light on the front corner of your bed or new freightliners have an LED light mounted on the side of the truck below and just forward of the mirror. That works real well on my work truck.

I have seen a lot of guys mount lights on the bottom edge of the cab below the door opening or even on your step getting in.

Just not a fan of the mirror UNLESS it's a beaver light but Just don't tell my wife what it's for:)

i also modified mine as well. i connected to the wiring behind the doors to the turn signal wiring already there.

i used 3rd brake lights for turn signals like sibernut did to his.

EDIT: i also used a LED strip on the outside edge of the fairing behind the sleeper on each side.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Any possibility of posting pics of these installations? Both daytime and night would be helpful.

Thanks

as soon as the rally is over and i get my mirrors back together (redoing the coax between the antenna's and the dash) , ill get some pictures taken and posted.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Hi Al,

I did something similar on mine--I put LED strips down the outside edge of mirror. The easiest place to tie in is the cab turn signal repeater. Just be prepared for the base of that light to be cracked--most are. You can fish the wire behind the inside trim pretty easy--pull up the threshold, tuck it in with wiring that's already there, and up the side of the instrument panel to the mirror. If you really want it hidden, you can run it up the inside of the dash, but mine are just tucked along the door seal.

David

Hi David,

Thank you for the idea about using the turn signal repeater. Is the turn signal repeater located in the fuse box area ? What does the repeater look like ?

No fog lights on the truck yet. I have a friend making the brackets to hold the lights. He is waiting to get to use the laser for cutting out the brackets. The production runs come first. The cutting program is in the form of a pdf file. When the lights get done, I will post pictures.

Thanks,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the light on the side of the cab by the door handle. I'll try to post some pictures from my install later today.

Looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Archived