Turbo Tax FlipFlop

Barbaraok

Finally got Turbo Tax to unlock the forms I need to us without having to pay for the premium edition. I haven't used their "Easy Step" in years, just know what forms I need to use to complete our taxes, but this year they were trying to make more money by pushing as many people as possible into their "premium" edition - that is anyone with ANY capital gains that are reported on a 1099B

After I got no where with Turbo Tax - I contacted Vanguard since I used their link to TurboTax. I guess I wasn't the only one, as I got an immediate reply from Vanguard saying that they had received many complaints and were looking into the problem. This weekend, I got an email from TurboTax with a phone number to call to get the 'unlock' key for the forms. I called, and was told they would return the call in the order they were received. NINE hours later I got a call, very nice gal telling me they were moving through all of the calls as quickly as possible, and when I next opened up the program it would install 'new' software that would include the forms. Sure enough, when I did on Sunday, there were the FORMS so I could enter our capital gains information. Plus my favorite "what if" form is there for planning for the upcoming year.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Last Friday Turbo Tax opened the upgrades to all at no cost. This was a big mistake for them this year.

Bob&Sherry

I don't understand what you are saying. . . please explain

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Bob&SherryI don't understand what you are saying. . . please explainJim

They blocked people who had been using forms with basic or deluxe versions from getting to all the form unless they upgraded to the premium($70) version. Lots of people don't need the walk throught but just fill in forms and send in, so the cheapest version was all we needed.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I bought the Deluxe CD version. thenafter two weeks of all the media attack on Turbo, they were going to rebate you the $30 upgrade charge. Last Friday received emailthat went to all there registered users, the upgrade was free of charge. I logged in and it upgradded me to the next version with no cost. ALl I needed was the one form they moved over to the premier edition schedule "D".

Bob

Retired Army Bob & Sherry, Border Collie Misty. Cincinnati, OH 2014 Tour 42QD. 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar, 2001 Honda Gold Wing, SMI Air Force Onesmile.gif

Yes, the Schedule D for capitol gains hit a lot of people who had small amounts from selling stocks/bonds/mutual funds. Like you, we just needed ONE form that we had always been able to access before - - think last year that they realized that they could make more money by forcing people into 'premium' version. Really a stupid move on their part and sure left a bad taste in my mouth. I also think that a lot of mutual funds who have arrangements to offer their clients a small reduction in costs got a lot of angry feedback - I know Vanguard heard from me!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived