Soc Security Rant

R. Walter

What really upsets me beyond the individual people that "game the system" are the so called legitimate insurance companies that are basically using Social Security to subsidize their business expenses by forcing people who have legitimate claims to apply for SSD against their will to just save the insurance company money. (See post #45) It would not suprise me at all if those costs exceed the cost of individual people that get SSD that really should not recieve it. (I have no way of knowing, just guessing) How come you rarely hear people complaining about that?

Maybe the Insurance companies set their rates based on the assumption that any disability will be transitioned to SS where possible.

It's called the competitive marketplace.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KittyCat no one begrudges you collecting SSDI. That is what it is for. If I weren't retired I would probably be on longterm disability or SSDI due to the vertigo and herniated disc and other issues. Please don't feel bad about being on SSDI. You deserve it and obviously paid for it over the years. I think what people including me are upset about are the number of people who game the system and increase the expenses for everyone else. And in certain fora if you make that statement you will be labeled as a racist, right wing, Christian, tea partier. But these are badges I hold proudly.

Been a lot of what I would consider judgmental statements about people under normal retirement age using Social Security. I would have quoted some of them to drive home my point but since this is going to be my first post of this forum decided to restrain myself a little bit. I have to admit that two years ago I would have silently agreed with many of what I am calling the judgmental statements I have read on this thread. Recent events in my life have opened my eyes (so to speak) and for better or worse I can’t keep silent without at least sharing my personal experience that might at least give some of you something to think about.

Nearly two years ago I was involved in a motor vehicle accident. After nearly a week in ICU and three surgeries I am still far from fully recovered. Before the accident I figured I would never be collecting Social Security Disability. I had a good job and income lived below my means, had zero debt and a good savings in the bank. I also had disability insurance that I bought through my employer (payroll deduction.) I had paid for the disability insurance for over 27 years and had never needed to make a claim. Long story short, I have been unable to work and am still unable to return to my prior job. I am physically pushing myself every day (read painful) in an attempt to get myself in good enough physical shape to gain that all important medical release. Financially it had not been easy but we are getting by okay. Zero debt and savings had helped but the biggest factor in getting by has been my LTD (long term disability) insurance. I had paid my premiums those 27 years just in case something like this happened so I did not feel guilty when I received my benefit checks.

Enough of my background and on to my story. About 6 months ago I receive notification from my LTD provider that they were setting me up with a company that’s sole business is assisting people in filing Social Security disability claims. If I don’t cooperate with the company and file for SSD then my LTD benefits stop. (it is buried in the fine print of the policy) Any SSD that I get will reduce my LTD benefits by an equal amount. So I personally have nothing to gain by getting a SSD benefit since my LTD benefits (that I paid for these 27 years) will be reduced by any SSD that I get other than if I don’t play along, then the LTD company can (and will) stop my benefits that I paid for. Long story short, I became one of those people that collected SSD benefits. Not by choice but I was pushed into it by my LTD company. I would rather not collect SSD (and cost the tax payers money) and just collect my full LTD benefits that I already paid for and thought would keep me from having to collect SSD. From what I have been able to find out, it is very common for private insurance companies to compel people to apply for SSD so that they can save money by paying less benefits once the person gets SSD. Basically they are getting Social Security to cover a major cost of their business. I am really upset and angry that LTD company would basically force me into SSD and am feel that if SSD really wants to save money they need to look into finding a way that disability insurance companies can no longer do what they are doing to me.

So yes, I am under 62 and am receiving SSD. Not by choice but I am. (I had bought LTD insurance thinking that if something did happen I would not have to be a burden on the government) So before you judge someone on SSD, I suggest you know the whole story.

Have to correct a misquote - my apologies - I was quoting ajs - and bless him for speaking up here. We have not and pray not, will be applying for SSDI - thank you!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We are surprised at the negative stories in dealing with SS. Most offices are understaffed due to budget requirements. we have been to a SS office two times and about to go for a third. It has not been easy. It can take one hour on hold just to talk to someone. They do try to get you to go on line and there are many things you can do online. There are also many people who can not get online and many that have trouble understanding.

Once we explained exactly what we wanted from SS we found the SS folks professional and helpful. We are both retired under the Federal CSRS. We both had outside employment that qualified us for SS. Right now the wife is at, we think, at 39 credits and will get the 40th , we think, before the end of the year. Yes we can see our entire SS work record online but that figure is not always accurate. A visit to the SS office will get the actual number. Due to the restrictions on Federal Employees she will not get much but she is paying into it and wants the SS.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived