Volvo D16 Coolant Drain Hose

bmzero

post-49455-0-23432300-1419949823_thumb.jpg

http://www.otrperformance.com/volvo-radiator-coolant-drain-hose-9996049

Has anyone here used this type of hose? Are those just normal air line fittings on each end? If they are air line fittings, it should be quite a bit cheaper and quicker to put one of these together using off the shelf parts.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I have that exact quick disconnect on my Redwood. It's junk. I suspect that it has something to do with the different materials that were used to make the coupler. Unlike metals deteriorate and cause sticking of the quick disconnect components. I would spend the extra coin and purchase a brass quick disconnect.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I have that exact quick disconnect on my Redwood. It's junk. I suspect that it has something to do with the different materials that were used to make the coupler. Unlike metals deteriorate and cause sticking of the quick disconnect components. I would spend the extra coin and purchase a brass quick disconnect.

Is it a standard air fitting? If so, do you know if it's 1/4" or 3/8"?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6534k51/=v90dhs

Good, standard air fittings are brass, so no, it's not standard IMHO. Mine is 3/8".

I understand that, but I'm more curious if I could buy a standard air fitting and it work properly for my needs (draining coolant). Anyone know?

Standard air fittings have a brass body, but some steel inside. Like the spring and seat, maybe more on some of them.

How often will you need to drain the system? A pipe plug is pretty fool proof.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

How often will you need to drain the system? A pipe plug is pretty fool proof.

Hopefully just once. I'll try to put something together. I don't see a reason to buy a $70 hose for just one draining.

Get some 5 gallon pails ready and screw the fitting out, it will be drained in no time, u may have to cut the top off the pails to let them fit under the rad,

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I used to screw the plug or fitting out and then finger tight the appropriate pipe thread to hose barb fitting with a piece of hose attached and run to the drain pan before removing the radiator cap or otherwise opening the cooling system. you are going to wear a little coolant in the process but it's a lot easier to clean up a little coolant rather than the capacity of the cooling system from under the vehicle. it's also a lot less annoying to not have residual coolant dripping off of everything while you are changing hoses and servicing whatever else and then checking for leaks when you refill the cooling system. In my opinion after 40 years of working on vehicles the only thing worse than wearing and cleaning up coolant is cleaning up or wearing burned up gear lube or trans fluid.

Archived