• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#21 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts
  • SKP#:114052

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

If necessary remind the grand kids bears can hear giggles and know it is a nice juicy kid making the noise, so don't giggle after bedtime or the bears may get them.

It worked for my grandmother...

Sounds like a good idea!!!

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD SRW Diesel

2014 Open Range Roamer 367BHS

USN Retired

#22 sushidog

sushidog

• Validated Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Greetings all! My DW and I will be retiring in 2018 and can't wait to get on the road. In fact we just bought our TV for FTing. We found a great deal so jumped on it. We plan on declaring SD as our domicile and we learned that the registration on a 9yr old TV are half price there, so we decided on a 2008 F-250 6.4l to pull a as yet unpurchased travel trailer to FT in. Can't wait! the Class of 2018 can't come soon enough. Let's hope we both make it!

Merry Christmas all.

Chip & Cindy

event.png

#23 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts
  • SKP#:95920

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Welcome Chip & Cindy and Merry Christmas to all.

Congrats on getting your TV.

I like South Dakota but our decision on domicile state will most likely be significantly based on how extensive is the medical network associated with the health carriers. We will most likely choose between Florida and Texas. We have three more years before we need to decide. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a domicile state. Search for domicile in the threads and you will get a wealth of information. Stan and Kirk are very knowledgeable on domicile issues.

Dave

Dave
34' Airstream Classic Trailer
Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

#24 LJSteinmetz

LJSteinmetz

• Validated Members
  • 259 posts
  • SKP#:114716

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Greetings all! My DW and I will be retiring in 2018 and can't wait to get on the road. In fact we just bought our TV for FTing. We found a great deal so jumped on it. We plan on declaring SD as our domicile and we learned that the registration on a 9yr old TV are half price there, so we decided on a 2008 F-250 6.4l to pull a as yet unpurchased travel trailer to FT in. Can't wait! the Class of 2018 can't come soon enough. Let's hope we both make it!

Merry Christmas all.

Chip & Cindy

Welcome to Escapees. Sounds like you are already pointed in the right direction. Good luck with your full-timing plans.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing.  January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.

#25 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Larry:

I see you became a lifetime member during the current offering; congrats!

One less thing to worry about in retirement.

Dave

Dave

#26 LJSteinmetz

LJSteinmetz

• Validated Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Larry:

I see you became a lifetime member during the current offering; congrats!

One less thing to worry about in retirement.

Dave

I didn't have to really agonize over it although; as others have said, it is a little expensive. But, it's done and glad I won't have to mess with it once we are on the road.

Larry

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing.  January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.

#27 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hey fellow 2017 class-mates. What do you have for travel plans for 2014? Our reservation wall is starting to fill up.

• In the middle of January we are going to a close by RV park (in Nothern California) for 4 days.
  • March 7-10 we are going to Goodyear AZ to visit family and get in a some Spring Training.
  • Memorial Weekend we have reservations in Yosemite.
  • Mid June is our Yellowstone trip with the grand kids.

We are going to try and plan 1 or 2 trips a month. More so 2 in the warmer months. This is going to give us a chance to use our rig and make Mods as we see fit.

This is going to be a great year I can feel it.

James

USN Retired

#28 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

James and Tracy:

We don't have any long distance travel plans for 2014. We are planning on dong the Escapade in Goshen Indiana in May. We belong to the local unit of the Airstream club (WBCCI) and will do about six rallies with the club; four will be in state parks.

Several years ago we caravanned with friends (five RV's in total) to Acadia National Park in Maine. It was great but we had to do it in two weeks which was quick since we all started from and returned to Illinois. Work tends to cramp our RVing but there are trade offs like a paycheck.

Dave

Dave

#29 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Dave going to the Escapade in Goshen is looking like it's going to be a great time. Wish we could go.

Our 5th wheel sits in storage at Camp Parks in Dublin, CA. We go visit it once a week. LOL. No room at home to keep it. Rents in our area have boomed so keeping it in storage and staying where we are at leaves a lot more money to save and play. Only 38 months til we hit the road full time. I don't want life to fly by but 38 months is not a long time.

USN Retired

#30 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well January flew by and I didn't get anything done in regards to preparing for fulltiming.

I spent half of the  month out of state dealing with a family emergency.

This month we will establish our goals for 2014 related to getting the house ready. We have three finished floors to get ready; one for each year (2014, 2015, 2016) Mostly painting type of work as well as de-cluttering.

Trying to stay focused.

Dave

Dave

#31 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Your right Dave January flew by. Our 4 day camping trip went well. Everything is working the way it's suppose to.  We had no cell reception at all. We were able to watch the Bronco/Patriots game on our TV using the antenna. We couldn't get the 49er game on the TV so we listened to it on Satellite Radio. Next up Goodyear, AZ to visit family and get in some baseball. 

Have a great February!!!!

James

USN Retired

#32 Pjoe

Pjoe

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Change in plans. Diane and I will be moving things up a bit more. We are on track to go full time in April 2015 so I'm gonna move to that group. Come join me!

Bill
2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus
2012 Honda CRV

#33 BarbDan17

BarbDan17

• Validated Members
  • 59 posts
  • SKP#:115834

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello classmates.  My husband Dan and I are hoping to go FT May 1st, 2017 when I retire at 59 1/2.  Counting down and hoping it flies by.  We may end up going sooner, as my employer is constantly downsizing, so if they get to me before I get to 59 1/2, we'll just be selling the house and going FT sooner.  We're doing a lot of research trying to decide what rig we want for FT.  I've been on the forum reading about a lot of different topics.  So far I haven't come across anything I wondered about that someone before hadn't already posted.  Great to have so many people to look to for advice.

Take care all,

3 years, 1 month, 20 days.

Barbara

#34 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Welcome Barbara and Dan to the Class of 2017.

We have the same target date but are not counting closely. We say it's getting close to being three years. Our date is a "soft" date as we plan on putting the house on the market in January 2017 and taking off in the spring.

The Escapees forum is a great place to get information on fulltiming. Choosing the RV rig to fulltime in is a big decision and a personal one. There are many factors to consider. The wealth of knowledge on these forums will help you narrow down your choices.

2017 will come faster than we think.

Dave

Dave

#35 Tumbleweed_FT

Tumbleweed_FT

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Bill (Pjoe):

Congratulations on being able to move it up. You have just over a year to go.

I'm sure you will have a lot to do to get ready. Good luck.

You must be excited.

Dave

Edited by Tumbleweed_FT, 06 March 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Dave

#36 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

James and Tracy:

We don't have any long distance travel plans for 2014. We are planning on dong the Escapade in Goshen Indiana in May. We belong to the local unit of the Airstream club (WBCCI) and will do about six rallies with the club; four will be in state parks.

Several years ago we caravanned with friends (five RV's in total) to Acadia National Park in Maine. It was great but we had to do it in two weeks which was quick since we all started from and returned to Illinois. Work tends to cramp our RVing but there are trade offs like a paycheck.

Dave

We just got back from our AZ trip today. It was a blast. Hung out with my Mom, brothers, various nephews and nieces, etc..... Stayed at Cotton Lane in Goodyear AZ. $30 a night military rate. The pull through space was nice. No cable or wifi. I used my Ipone for wifi and it works better than any RV parks wifi hands down. Went to a couple spring training games. Get this, Ric Flair (A WWF wrestler in the 70's and beyond) was at the Padres game. 65 years old walking around with no shirt on. That was pretty cool. The best part of the trip was 1400 miles, 3 different parks, and not a single problem with the 5th wheel. The truck towed that thing up and down the mountains with no problems. Everything worked as it should. We did spot a screw in one of the trailer tires that we need to take care of. We are not using the rig again until May. That was the longest trip so far with our 5th wheel. And believe me I wanted to just keep going.......

USN Retired

#37 Piedmontexpress

Piedmontexpress

• Validated Members
  • 69 posts
  • SKP#:119118

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018. Our tow rig arrived 3 days ago from Canada, delivered by Gregg Shields (RV Haulers.ca) ! We spent an exciting weekend with him learning all about "Ringo" our Volvo 670 and getting him hooked up to our 5er and practicing loading the Smart car. I got a driving lesson and surprised myself by how well I did driving Ringo around. Learning how to drive while hauling the 5er is next! For the past 3 months my husband has been selling off stuff he doesn't need to begin our downsizing. It will be great to have support as we embark on this adventure. Downsizing will be painful at times I imagine and we will rely on you all to help us transition! 4 years and 2 1/2 months to go!
Patti
"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.
By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

"DINO" 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix

#38 LJSteinmetz

LJSteinmetz

• Validated Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018. Our tow rig arrived 3 days ago from Canada, delivered by Gregg Shields (RV Haulers.ca) ! We spent an exciting weekend with him learning all about "Ringo" our Volvo 670 and getting him hooked up to our 5er and practicing loading the Smart car. I got a driving lesson and surprised myself by how well I did driving Ringo around. Learning how to drive while hauling the 5er is next! For the past 3 months my husband has been selling off stuff he doesn't need to begin our downsizing. It will be great to have support as we embark on this adventure. Downsizing will be painful at times I imagine and we will rely on you all to help us transition! 4 years and 2 1/2 months to go!
Patti

Congrats!

I am very envious as our plan is to buy a truck from Gregg also but we are still at least 2 years out from doing that, When you get a chance please post pictures of Ringo.

Larry

#39 Piedmontexpress

Piedmontexpress

• Validated Members
  • 69 posts
  • SKP#:119118

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Larry- best place to see pics right now would be on Gregg's site. Can't miss Ringo, bright yellow! He has a few videos of him also and soon I think you can view us driving him. Bill and I could not get the smiles off our faces!
"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.
By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

"DINO" 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix

#40 mandolin57

mandolin57

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018.

Hi Patti! 

My husband and I are also planning on early 2018.  (probably around April-May)  I'm so glad to see another person for 2018!!  It makes it seem more realistic!  We are also starting to downsize and everything we do in our house, we find ourselves asking whether it's practical and if it will increase the sale value when we sell. We're buying our fiver probably the end of the year when the prices are better.  We have a big RV show in Hershey PA and hoping ours (Solitude 305)  will be at a good price at that time.  Nice to meet you and best of luck getting ready.  Maybe we can keep tabs of our progress together :)

Marianne

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.