Microsoft Surface Laptop: Price, specs, availability

RV_

Today Tuesday May 2nd Microsoft announced a new premium product to the Surface line. Before they had Surface (not Pro) 3 Tablets with the Intel Atom x8700 Processor, like Linda has, that faded away but rumors say it may come back. I was more interested in the Atom powered Surface tablet not the much more expensive Pro 3 but a dealer going out of biz sold me a brand new one for $500 when that model was $999.99 retail. There Surface Pro Tablets have the Surface Pro 3 and 4 now in use and a 5 due out.( I have the Surface Pro 3 with 128GB/4GB RAM) And they have the Surface Book, a hybrid laptop with a screen that can detach and be a tablet. Today Microsoft unveiled the Surface Laptop.

This is a real departure for Microsoft because this one is a premium device, unlike the inexpensive basic Chromebooks for schools, and is designed to be run online on "Windows S." This is new to me so I am just now getting the information too. I am still trying to figure this one out. More later.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft isn't leaving the Chromebook-competition market to its OEM partners only.

On May 2, the company took the wraps off a new line of Surfaces, called Surface Laptop. Pre-orders begin today. The devices will start at $999.

As information leaked by "The Walking Cat" on Twitter revealed, the new devices come with Windows 10 S (the version of Windows 10 formerly known as Windows 10 Cloud).

The new laptops feature 13.5-inch PixelSense displays, come in four colors (Platinum, Burgundy, Cobalt Blue, and Graphite Gold) and include an Alcantara-covered keyboard, the Walking Cat unearthed.

Surface Laptop weighs 2.76 pounds, has a 3:2 aspect ratio, and supports existing Surface Pens. The devices will come with a choice of Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and up to 1 TB of storage. Microsoft is claiming 14.5 hours of battery life (though, as we know, marketing claims vs. real life use are usually quite different). If earlier leaks are correct, the Surface Laptop will not offer USB-C, which may be a deal breaker for some.

Microsoft is positioning the new laptops against the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, but officials are claiming Surface Laptop is starting to define a new category.

These Microsoft Surface Laptops are not the budget Windows 10 PCs -- the specs for which recently leaked -- that are meant to go head-to-head with existing Chromebooks. The Surface Laptop is meant to be more of a premium device, similar to the recently discontinued Google Chromebook Pixel.

The Surface Laptop is aimed at students after high school moving on to the next four years of their lives after K-12, said Microsoft officials.

The Windows 10 S edition of Windows 10 is a full-featured version of Windows which is locked down so that it can run Windows Store apps only. It will be upgradeable for $49 to Windows 10 Pro for those who don't get it via the education channels (and a free upgrade to Pro for students and teachers).

This a developing story by Mary Jo Foley, who usually has the correct info on not publicly released Windows projects and devices. THe article is here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-surface-laptop-price-specs-availability/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Here is another article with more:

"Surface Laptop vs Surface Book: All you need to know about how Microsoft's new laptop stacks up against the Surface Book

Surface Laptop vs Surface Book – Design

The new ultra thin and portable Surface Laptop is designed for students, and Microsoft is making a big deal of how sleek this new device is. At 1.25kg, it's lighter than any MacBook or MacBook Air according to Redmond, and the has been designed to look as clean as possible. There's no screws or hinges visible, and no visible speaker grilles as Microsoft has integrated the actual speakers below the keyboard.

The Surface Laptop also features a 7th-generation Intel Core processor (i5 and i7 options available), which is exactly what you'll get on the Surface Book, along with a 3.4 million-pixel screen. That screen is a 13.5-inch PixelSense LCD touchscreen display that works with the Surface Pen, so you can doodle on your display if you feel inclined. The laptop screen also features a Full HD resolution and a 3:2 aspect ratio."

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

OK This also just in explaining Windows S better. For folks that want more security and less updates this might be the ticket and cheaper $189.99 Windows S hardware is coming this summer. But for RVrs with limited bandwidth these may not be a good idea until we see how the so called "Unlimited" Internet offers from the various vendors shake out long term.

Excerpt:

"Windows 10 S will include all the same features that Windows 10 Creators Update does, including support for mixed reality. The difference is that it is more of a locked-down variant, with Microsoft verifying and managing the overall experience via the Windows Store requirement.

By restricting Windows 10 S devices to running Store apps only, Microsoft's pitch is that the devices will be more reliable, secure, and manageable, as all the apps in the Store will be verified.

Thanks to tweaks Microsoft has made to its Edge browser and work it's now doing around power-throttling (a "Redstone 3" feature coming this September), Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 S devices as fast to set up, sign-in with, and reset as Chromebooks are known for being.

Microsoft is adding an out for those who find Windows 10 S too restrictive. As previously reported, Windows 10 S will be upgradeable to Windows 10 Pro. For educators, this upgrade will be free. For those who don't get Windows 10 S through the education channels, the upgrade to Pro will cost $49.

Microsoft and its OEM partners are going to be making a variety of devices that will run Windows 10 S starting at $189, and which will be available as of this Summer."

More and links in the article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-launches-windows-10-s-its-store-centric-version-of-windows-10/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived