Is a Grandfathered Verizon unlimited data account worth anything now?

lappir

Is a Grandfathered Verizon unlimited data account worth anything now?

Edited by Kirk W
Remove unwanted video

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Not sure why the video was attached to this topic. I did upload it yesterday with an offer to sell one of my Honda's. 

I'm now interested in seeing if I should just downgrade my Unlimited Data Verizon plan or if it's still worth anything to anyone. 

I've changed plans and will keep my old number, but in a prepaid fashion only for emergencies unless someone can get some good use out of it. 

I'm not looking to make any money off of it, but don't want to surrender it if it could be useful to someone else. 

I'm paying about the same amount with another carrier and the service where I am is good. That may change and I might regret my decision, but that's on me. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

25 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

You can sell or transfer a plan to someone else? I did not know this is possible.

I don't think you can transfer any more, other than updating the information on the account.

The original user will still be tied to it, but you can change billing/email address/etc for the new user.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

• 2 weeks later...

Got the bill for the "New Rate" and won't be paying it. 

Way back when I was with "Alltel" living in Kansas. Started back to Travel Nursing and was disappointed with the service in Florida. Heard about the about the purchase of the Cellular part by Verizon, so I decided to visit the local office in Florida to see if I could upgrade. 

Sure enough the salesperson said no problem and in fact I can give you a 20% discount by being a Nurse. At the time the best plan for me was a limited talk and text plan but with unlimited data. It seemed like a good deal and I have kept it ever since. Never changing never upgrading, never getting a new phone through them. My internet was faster than any "WiFi" I ever encountered in my home on wheels. 

Several years ago they asked me to update my information regarding the discount. I did and no problem. This past year they asked again and apparently my response didn't satisfy them and I was notified I would have to pay the full price. I started looking around for a replacement. 

I tried the "T-Mobile" (and posted about that in another post.)

I tried a different Verizon account by choosing a phone on my brothers business plan. In two days I was notified that I was nearing my "Unlimited Data amount". Those notifications were multiple times a day even after contacting my "Representative" to ensure I had "Unlimited Data". Apparently I didn't and I returned that phone too. (It was the Fold 4 Samsung and I really liked it, but not with the constant "warnings".)

I arrived in Oklahoma a month or so ago and visited an "Authorized Retailer" to discuss a Trial. They reported there as "no such thing", you sign up and you are locked into the contract. I walked away. 

A few weeks later I think I found an AT&T corporate store and learned about FirstNet and signed up. Have had it for several weeks now and no warnings about too much data and it seems to work great. I did go with the iPhone 15 plus and am starting to get used to the non Android stuff. (My youngest who lives nearby has been complaining about my Android photos and such for a while so I decided to try the iPhone again. I'd tried a 14 with T-Mobile.)

If you have read this far and am wondering why I'm sharing, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my prior Verizon number and just down grade to the least expensive service, since it appears the unlimited data plan isn't worth anything now to anyone else. I'm certainly not paying what they are asking for my next bill. 

Questions, comments and suggestions appreciated. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, lappir said:

If you have read this far and am wondering why I'm sharing, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my prior Verizon number and just down grade to the least expensive service, since it appears the unlimited data plan isn't worth anything now to anyone else. I'm certainly not paying what they are asking for my next bill. 

Questions, comments and suggestions appreciated. 

If you are partial to your old number you could have ported it to your new service, however, it appears you did not do that, but you could always port it to Google Voice (there is a $20 charge for that) and then you would retain the number and any calls going to it. You can then link you Google Voice number to your new cell number and be able to get calls from either number on the same device. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Chalkie, I think I will see what the least expensive Verizon service is and then decide if it's worth it. Probably won't do the Google though. They already have too much of my info already. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

With Visible (owned by Verizon and using the same towers) offering unlimited data for $25 a month it kind of limits the value of a grandfathered Verizon account in many cases.  If you can live with it's conditions (one device at a time using a cell phone hotspot, occasionally having lower data priority on a crowded tower) it's a great deal.