Largest Battery Energy storage system-Not Finance related

ms60ocb

I hope this is more education even dealing with IOU's like the Tesla Power Wall. Read the Seven Modes of Operation on Page 7

https://library.e.abb.com/public/3c4e15816e4a7bf1c12578d100500565/Case_Note_BESS_GVEA_Fairbanks-web.pdf

Schedule Load Increase, Power System Stabilizer, Spinning Reserve are very import in control of the power system. Early days of electric generation was built for businesses that often only needed electric during specific hours of the day, during off Peak hours, power would turned ON to residential area. Demand for electric 24 hours a day meant increased Generation and Control. Then came with the Electric Clock, so keeping the electric clock reading the same as the wind-up wall clock, time also had to sold. Thus regulating was more difficult with governors used with slow response. The aim was to have the correct at least once a day sometime, mostly after mid-night and 6AM    In 1950's, 60's, most electric utilities, in the lower 48 states connected together. Time became more important to maintain Grid integrity. That called faster generator governors, faster responding generators and necessary option was (and still is ) Automatic Customer Load Shedding.

Lots stories can be told here and may many will be remember the NYC blackouts or Earth quakes problems. How many remember the Vertical Roll on the display of the TV, it wasn't the TV's fault

I personally have not read capability or sizing of the Tesla Wall Unit but did see a picture of fenced area contain 50 units or more units. For comparison, Texas would need about 50 of the Alaska Battery Energy storage units.

My work history has mostly Electric Utility in the Western and Eastern sections but not the Texas section. El Paso TX is part of the western area.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

6 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I personally have not read capability or sizing of the Tesla Wall Unit but did see a picture of fenced area contain 50 units or more units. For comparison, Texas would need about 50 of the Alaska Battery Energy storage units.

My work history has mostly Electric Utility in the Western and Eastern sections but not the Texas section. El Paso TX is part of the western area.

Clay

Clay good history lesson and I remember that project. https://www.respec.com/project/battery-energy-storage-system-bess/

That was done with Ni-Cd batteries too! They did that in 2003!

Lots of misconceptions about the Powerwalls and folks get testy sometimes when I clarify. The Powerwalls are designed for residential use. Here was the first Tesla battery for power generation support.

https://hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au/

Their webpage is kept up and the info you have a background in is on this page. Definitely not a residential Powerwall. Other companies are also building some. Battery production demand is the hold up for these taking off faster. As the transition to EVs and demand slows down we should see an increase as batteries become more available.

The Tesla system in Texas is outlined here with pics and a video:

https://electrek.co/2022/01/06/tesla-unveils-giant-megapack-battery-project-texas/

Here's a great video discussing the Powerwall with 13.5 kWh Not about investing either, and why I am doing 2 Powerwalls with my solar system. That is to support our home in a very sunny city and two EVs the second we are getting in January. IN this video you can see the differences from utility backups. They all do use Li-Ion batteries in their cars, residential, and utility systems which are all very different only sharing the battery tech currently.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tesla+powerwall&docid=603520059917867255&mid=557FB091BCD8ED5A1F9E557FB091BCD8ED5A1F9E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thanks for the info Clay. I'd love your comments on the Tesla Big Battery systems as I do not have your background - similar controls are incorporated. Comments from your perspective not about investing either. Many folks think they are just backup direct power systems when in fact they are just to get through a brownout situation without powering up backup plants. Like my UPS that my computers are hooked up to, they are designed to give me have some minutes of time to gracefully shut down, not to run my office equipment in place of the outlet.

I am always up for friendly discussions about battery storage. I am surprised that despite their weight, we have not seen articles about RVrs adapting a Powerwall for boodockinking in their million dollar motorhomes. As you pointed out there is more to them and their controls than just batteries.

Sorry forgot the Hornsdale link. Edited to add it.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The Tesla power walls are very useful and seem to function well.  In our RV we have what you might describe as a power wall.  It uses LifeP04 batteries and functions much like a Tesla power wall.  We have roughly 18kwh of batteries and the equipment to use that power.  When in a campground if the power goes out our system will seamlessly switch to solar and batteries.  We primarily boondock and use our system for that.  Our system is basic and fits our needs.  Victron and some other vendors provide equipment that will do more than ours.  There are some newer RV's that have power wall equivalent equipment and large solar arrays right from the factory.  Tesla power walls could also be used for this function but so far Tesla isn't typically used.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 9/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, Randyretired said:

The Tesla power walls are very useful and seem to function well.  In our RV we have what you might describe as a power wall.  It uses LifeP04 batteries and functions much like a Tesla power wall.  We have roughly 18kwh of batteries and the equipment to use that power.  When in a campground if the power goes out our system will seamlessly switch to solar and batteries.  We primarily boondock and use our system for that.  Our system is basic and fits our needs.  Victron and some other vendors provide equipment that will do more than ours.  There are some newer RV's that have power wall equivalent equipment and large solar arrays right from the factory.  Tesla power walls could also be used for this function but so far Tesla isn't typically used.  

Randy you have a great system. In 1997-2003 (when we were full-time) no batteries or solar like your system today were even available for RVs except for home built systems that did not have much capacity and back then may have cost more than your more capable system. See my Tesla car uses similar battery packs as the Powerwall (NCA and LFP) and it has zip for maintenance. No cables or connectors to clean, no gases produced, liquids to replenish, 15-20 year life with 80% capacity if charging guidelines followed. I plug it into my 50 amp outlet for a few hours a week and that is it, charged to 80% (Except on trips) and a slower charge than a Supercharger for battery longevity.

Tesla energy Division (Powerwalls/Solar panels/Solar roof tiles/Utility backups) has been virtually last priority for battery use as the demand for the cars worldwide is still high if priced right, and when the Cyber Truck and Semi are fully ramped up and in production battery production should be able to begin meeting demand for the energy division too.

But prices are coming down - from August 2023:

"(Powerwall) Price drop! After years of consecutive price rises, 2023 has seen two reductions taking the price down to just under $13,000 dollars in Australia (excluding installation), a total drop of $3,330 in just 4 months."

Must read source for those interested with all 2023 Powerwall Plusspecs/prices: https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/tesla-powerwall-2-solar-battery-review

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire