New member with questions

RRtravels

I have recently purchased a 99 Shasta E450 30.1. it has some rot issues I am rebuilding around the cabover bunk. This is my first RV I have rebuilt a pop up and other travel trailers in the past. Doing the work does not scare me, I just haven't worked on one of these. My question is, the exterior side wall and the under side panel above the cab and where the front wraps under by the cab. When taking the metal strips off and using butyl tape to replace, why can't you use the "roof tape to seal the seams as well before screwing the strip back on? Wouldn't that be an extra protection from leaks? I have also heard that the cabover window is most likely the culprit for the leaks. After I do all this work is there a way to fix that? the window has a crack in it anyway. Is it easier to replace and where do I get it or take the window out completely and fill in with something? Im sure I will have more questions as I am new to this vehicle. Any assistance (pictures, information, videos, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, RRtravels said:

When taking the metal strips off and using butyl tape to replace, why can't you use the "roof tape to seal the seams as well before screwing the strip back on? Wouldn't that be an extra protection from leaks?

The reason for using butyl tape under such places is that as you tighten the attaching screws it will force the butyl into any cracks or openings when tightened until some is squeezed out all around the edges. If you use this roof tape under the strip it probably wont seal properly or last very long. 

4 hours ago, RRtravels said:

I have also heard that the cabover window is most likely the culprit for the leaks. After I do all this work is there a way to fix that? the window has a crack in it anyway.

The proper way to seal RV windows is to remove them, clean and then replace the butyl tape around the window and reinstall it. While it might be good to replace the window it is probably going to be very difficult to locate one that will fit as RV windows tend to be made for the make & model and then change when the designs change. Most of them are not stocked once the design is changed. An RV salvage would be your best bet to locate one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk W

Thank you so much for the info. I do not believe I will be using the roof tape method. Also I have not used butyl tape before now. Is doubling up on the butyl tape overkill or not worth it? I am one of those people that over do something to prevent further problems. Or as I have had ingrained in my brain, "do it right the first time"

Don't double the butyl tape as it is about 1/4" thick and is actually a type of caulking and intended to squeeze out as things are tightened. You can find a wide range of it on Amazon in different widths. It is also readily available from RV supply stores.  I have come to prefer the Dicor brand but most any of them would work. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI