solar panels shocking me

I washed my camper yesterday. Wished I had done this when it was cooler. Anyway my panels will shock me if I touch them. Now they were wet. Is this normal? If I put a ground wire on will it stop it? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, as you know the voltage output of the panels exists across its + and - terminals and I doubt if you got between them if you merely touched the panel. However, the presence of water could contribute to certain electrical connections that somehow caused your being shocked ?? hard to say. 

Another possibility is static electricity accumulation in which case connection of the panels to the RV frame or earth (what you consider a ground wire ??) could  discharge. Thats similar to when you slide out of a car seat and touch the metal door you get shocked but if there's contact during the slide its discharged.

If you choose to bond the panel frames to the chassis that would prevent a voltage potential from one to the other.

John T

As you all know I am a welder. Been shocked many a time from a wet welding rod. The welder is a lot worse shock. Just surprised me. Reckon I will be running a ground wire.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

15 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Only place on camper is frame. 

Sounds fine Glenn. That will keep the panel frames at pretty well the same potential as the RV frame/structure, ALSO it will essentially bond the panels to the RV power panels Equipment Ground Buss which at some place eventually connects to mother earth (ground rod etc), all of which should help reduce shock hazards !!!!  I would consider the use of braided copper wire myself (although not necessary) such as that sometime used for battery grounding but doesnt have to be so large.

Good job best wishes

John T

Edited by oldjohnt