inverter charger settings

I have 2 6500 watt 48v inverters. I set charging at 50 amps on each. This has been working fine. Yesterday was hot triple digits. Acs pulling more than normal. Keeping us very pleasant though. DW washing clothes. Our batteries never got full charged yesterday since we were using solar for power and little to none left over for charging. About 10:00 pm everything shut down. Dishwasher running, dryer running and both acs. Batteries got low enough that inverters shut down. Found 50 amp main at park thrown. We did notice a small lasp of power earlier and shruded it off. Think that when it switched over to utility power and breaker tripped. Do you think I need to back off the charger setting? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Do you think I need to back off the charger setting? 

Good question Glenn, unfortunately I can't answer it without your battery and charger or inverters specs. I know for example my Lithiums have a MAX CHARGING CURRENT and recommended CHARGING VOLTAGE and my Converter/Charger has adjustable charge voltages.. Of course, if your Inverter/Charger or Charger were to draw excess current for x amount of time it may contribute to the pedestals thermal magnetic circuit breaker tripping...

As far as the charger setting, Id still recommend setting the charging voltage the batteries call for (typically 14.2 to 14.6 for 12 volt lithiums, double for 24), but you may or not be able to limit what current the charger or inverter/charger draws from the utility ?????????? I have seen pass through hybrid inverters in which you can set a current limit for the utility draw, if you have that perhaps lowering that to 80% of 50 or 40 Amps would prevent pedestal breaker trips???

PS Even if the Inverter/Charger wasn't drawing excess current and isn't at fault, ANY OTHER 120 VAC simultaneous loads (NOT Inverter fed) obviously add up and could be the cause of the pedestal breaker tripping?? If you knew what all devices/loads are drawing what currents you're on your way to a solution......Is EVERYTHING Inverter fed and the utility ONLY feeds the Inverter ?? Or are some loads fed direct from utility ?? Too many unknowns lol

Sorry no help absent your manuals and complete diagram, Im NOT any solar related expert see what they have to say ESPECIALY if they have similar equipment !!!

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

My units pull from solar and batteries for coach power. If solar enough no battery used. Only use utility in bypass mode. Set to go in bypass at 51v. I have seen 80 amps going into batteries with utility power. Seen 55 amps with mini splits running with solar. Think we were just using much more due to the triple digits heat and overloaded the park when it switched over. With full sun we are pulling 4000 watts from our panels. I changed my charging to 30 amps for each inverter. Will see if that corrects this. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Another thing you might look at is to see if the load on L1 and L2 is reasonably balanced.  If most of the 120v appliances are on just one side that can cause the 50amp park breaker to trip.  As John noted the load on L1 or L2 should not exceed 80% or 40amps.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

36 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Another thing you might look at is to see if the load on L1 and L2 is reasonably balanced.  If most of the 120v appliances are on just one side that can cause the 50amp park breaker to trip.  As John noted the load on L1 or L2 should not exceed 80% or 40amps.

Mine are fairly balanced. My dishwasher will throw it off but just change legs will be the same just on different leg. We rarely pull more than 30 amps. Think it was the inverters called for more charging power than was available.