Charlie Lord’s gizmo is a lifesaver

SuiteSuccess

At least on Volvo engines and I would assume on others there is an access port to use “shop air” (compressor) to fill the air tanks.  Useful to check for leaks without truck running but in my case a lifesaver to get my brakes released without caging them so I can move truck out of storage stall to be towed from the rear. Was told this was cheaper tow rate than having to disconnect driveline or axle.  I have actually seen videos where some tow trucks can hook their own supply to the port.  This port is pre- air dryer so not huge risk of moisture although I have a water filter on my compressor.  To build one find fittings for air conditioner lines and use the red high pressure fitting on the port (the blue low pressure will not work).  Plumb for air hose connection and you are set.  The pics show the connector and the location of the port on a Volvo engine.  Note:  Be sure and trace the hose back to your truck air compressor or to the air dryer to be cure it’s an air line!  Cheap insurance if you need to be towed.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Adjustable-Fittings-Manifold-Conversion/dp/B014FFQJEG/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?crid=2Q43B2VDZBFSZ&keywords=Automobile+air+conditioner+pressure+connections&qid=1685551271&sprefix=automob+conditioner+pressure+connections%2Caps%2C5383&sr=8-20-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVkJJTVI5N0ZZVTVQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzI1NjYzNDdXVFA3VzQ2NzAzJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTM5NDUzOU9KWDk2NlZZRlg0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

fTz1iB2l.jpg

qQ9Yi5dl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, those fittings are specific to a brand of truck and every HDT wrecker will have a set of adapters. The Paccar ones are not even close to the ones that Volvo uses.

https://towinnovation.com/products/tow-coupler-proffessional-kit

I had a shop air charger port added to our build that is in a bed compartment. It has a std airline quick coupler that is plumbed to the input side of the airdryer. That makes it pretty easy to fill the tanks from my main compressor in the shop.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Yep.  On our KW, the factory fitting is on the driver side frame rail by the steer tire.  Male is a BH1-61, female is BH1-60.  Same as many small farm tractors use for hydraulic couplings.

We also have a quick connect fitting at the rear of the cab, plus a glad hand with fittings to back feed the truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, David.  Thanks.  Good information.  This episode reminds me that cheap little gadgets can be very helpful and I thought my misfortune might help someone else to be ready in case they break down and can’t or don’t want to cage their brakes.  Maybe someone can add a Pete adapter.  When I built mine after seeing Charlie’s it was around $10.  Hardest thing today was remembering where I put it. 😜

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"