RV Tours to Mexico for the April 8, 2024 total Solar Eclipse

telcoman

I am a Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico. They are running several trips to take in this eclipse, including 2 Airstream. I am leading one of them myself. Several are close to being full . It will be total in Mazatlan and Durango. Almost 5 minutes of totality.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

It has been an issue but we do not have any issues with caravans. it is a Mexican based company and has some pull. The situation is the SAT, the organization that sets the rules puts the limit at 7710 lbs cargo capacity, which Banjercito the organization that enforces it, interprets  as GVWR, which it is not. We can solve that with the intervention of an Aduana (customs agent) who can look at the rig, determine it is recreational, and issue an exemption.  

Sure you can stay down but you would still have to pay for the cheapest package which is a 16 day tour. That is because the company has gone to all the trouble to reserve space for that eclipse, which as you can imagine will be at a premium. If you want to spend more time, I would suggest looking at the Copper Canyon trip with extension.. It leaves in mid January, does Copper Canyon, then mazatlan and then you pay a one time surcharge (to cover the wagon master) and go a few days south to Melaque (full service park with pool in a great town) which is 5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta for a long stay. You pay your own RV park from then on. You can head off from there at any  time you want to explore if you wish. (That park charges $600 a month, I make reservations). It may use Boca Beach for part of time.  It then makes its way to Durango for the eclipse and then out of Mexico quickly thereafter. (April 11 or 12) The $700 surcharge covers the wagon master getting you to Melaque then Durango then out of Mexico and also includes 2 tours of Zacatecas and Durango on the way north to the eclipse. My guess based on this year is that that one is going to be popular. 12 rigs max. I have attached a photo of the RV park in Melaque. You can also read a magazine article I wrote on it a few years back at https://mexicocaravan.com/blog1l.html.

984098_10152441110286323_1323608517421265259_n.jpg

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

• Kirk W locked this topic