Replaced fabric on Carefree powered awning

agesilaus

Just finished replacing the fabric on our Carefree Powered awning. Fabric $174 on Amazon, only complaint is that we ordered burgundy stripes but the burgundy is walnut brown. A minor irritation. The length of the fabric does not seem to affect the price ours, 16 ft, is the same price as 19 ft fabrics.

The process went went well, as per a great YT video, except that the spline was frozen into the channel and had to be manually dug out. Once that was done it went smoothly, probably took 90 minutes or less once my SIL arrived to help feed the new fabric in.

The old was patched with some clear awning repair tape that lasted for 18 months but that was clearly about to fail and we are parked in a resort for 2 months. That gave us plenty of time to do the swap out. I have one of those shade cloths that hangs from the valance edge by running a spline into the third slot but after one three AM rush awning retraction which required pulling the shade out of the slot, I decided there has to be an easier way and put grommets in the spline and the shade and hooked the shade on with'S" hooks. I can take it down in less than a minute and it goes up easy too. Does not make a tight connection with the bottom of the awning but the small amount of light leakage is not an issue.

Edited by agesilaus