Does anyone know older 5th wheel hitches?

I recently purchased a 2003 Ford F250 to tow my 5th wheel with. I bought the truck from the original owner who towed a 5th wheel camper. He is 82 years old now and can't remember what the town capacity is on the hitch that came with the truck. My 5th wheel is just over 10,000 pounds and I'll be at the 2,000 pound added weight.

I've googled and can't find anything about this hitch. It is in very good working condition. Is there anyone out there that might know this hitch? I'm getting ready to make a thousand mile trip and would hate to lose my 5th wheel.

Thanks 

picmonkey_image.jpg

picmonkey_image2.jpg

It's either a 12,500/1250 or a 15,000/1500 depending on when it was produced. The hitch was upgraded to the 15k/1500 after fall production.

However, that doesn't mean your '03 F250 is capable of towing 15k. That'll depend on it's configuration, engine, gear ratio, etc etc. If you're 5er is 10k dry, you're really going to have to look hard at your numbers to see if it's doable.

2003 Ford towing guide.

1 hour ago, 5th wheel dude said:

Is there anyway of knowing? Even at 12500 I should be OK. My truck can tow 14500. My trailer is 10200.

Gas or Diesel I tow 14500 with my 5.9 diesel and 4:10 gears and dually Its all the weight I want !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I don't know the capacity of the hitch, but I would suggest (which you probable already did) is to make sure it is attached securely to the frame of the truck.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, 5th wheel dude said:

Is there anyway of knowing? Even at 12500 I should be OK. My truck can tow 14500. My trailer is 10200.

Sure sure. Check your door jam tag. If you can't find it there then you can drop a note to Ford with your vin to get the production and installed options.

Ummm... a 12.5k hitch... with a 10.2k (dry) 5er? Is it possible? Probably. Would I want to pilot that tow package? 50 miles on flat land a few times a year for a weekend get-a-way... I might. Anything more "adventurous"... I'll take a pass. ;-) 

My first hitch was one like that, I think it was a R&W. My advice would be to get a different hitch, one that tilt's side to side, the first time you try to unhitch or hitch on uneven ground you will know why, plus its never a nice job slide the hitch out of its rails when you want to remove it.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

On 8/7/2017 at 1:06 PM, D&J said:

My first hitch was one like that, I think it was a R&W. My advice would be to get a different hitch, one that tilt's side to side, the first time you try to unhitch or hitch on uneven ground you will know why, plus its never a nice job slide the hitch out of its rails when you want to remove it.

Denny

I never noticed the non-side-side See how fast you can scrapiron that piece of junk.. Look craiglist over you can find good ones cheap.  No side-side has you twisting frame work out of this world. In this day and age I kinda doubt its even legal I picked up my Reese 24K for $250 on Craigs almost brand new

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived