Ford 550 Fleetwood.

Trucken

If you happen to have a 2002 Ford 550 in a Fleetwood  Bounder. Would you kindly look at the Master brake cylinder for the cruise control disconnect switch. 

No auto parts stores match what I have, and the Ford Dealership cannot match it either. There was a recall on this switch as it is energized even with key out of ignition and was causing fires. Over half Million Vehicles in recall.

My switch is a plastic fitting into master cylinder, all replacements  show metal switch in brake cylinder with a pigtail to reconnect to a different fitting, and they don't match. If your switch is plastic and cruise works, maybe I have an shade tree mechanic fix. 

Thanks for any help. Trucken. 

8 hours ago, Trucken said:

If you happen to have a 2002 Ford 550 in a Fleetwood  Bounder.

Since the Bounder is a class A, I'm betting that what you have is a Ford, F53 chassis with the Triton V-10 engine. Our F53 was a part of that recall that you are speaking of.  If I'm correct the recall was for chassis from 1992 through 2003 and included most of the Ford trucks of that era and all of the class A chassis. The issue was a failure when brake fluid leaked into the Speed Control Deactivation Switch, which was required to be inspected and a safety device was added. You can get a copy of the recall instructions and explanation sheets via this link. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well thanks to the folks that offered suggestions. After two weeks a post offered a suggestion that it's not on the master cylinder but behind and below..

Yep, it was below and behind the hydraulic cylinder canister for leveling jacks, an add on. No wonder sharp RV mechanics charge $75.00 an hour, well worth paying for experience. 

After locating it, find out it had already been replaced, and not the problem with cruise control. So on to the next solution.

Again thanks for the help.
Trucken

If your cruise isn't setting check the brake pedal. Up under the dash there's a clamp that attaches the brake sensor switch to the upper pedal arm. Sometimes this gets loose and the cruise will suddenly switch off when you hit a bump. Mine would switch off after big bumps but seems fine after tightening the clamp.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Thanks to everybody that made suggestions on my cruise control. Three week project finally came to an end. Cruise control now works. It was the switch in the steering wheel. If you ever go through this process your self.  If you have controls on the steering wheel it is called then a smart wheel. One of the most important things I found was VIN ID on Dash was not the Vin number for the motor, which caused a lot of confusion. 

First problem caused by the confusion was the location of that cruise control brake disconnect switch.  Not on the master cylinder but way down below on the brake line. Things are different on an RV. 

Next problem was the fuse for the cruise control. My 2002 ford v10  fuse was on the horn fuse.  So if your cruise control doesn't work and that's the only thing you have on the steering wheel but your horn works then you probably have power to the cruise control and the air bag.  To test you have to remove the cover of airbag . Be sure to disconnect the battery before removal or you'll have black eyes. Testing switch proved defective.

Funny thing. Testing the cruise control switch on button was on all the time----at the time thought funny that it didn't work. Then I find out when you hit the on button then set button--- on button goes open.

Again thanks for all the help from posters some were good leads some lead nowhere. Thanks again thanks for all the help from the Escapees.  It was an interesting road to travel, but I learned a lot thanks again. 

trucken

Archived