Another Toyota Tacoma towing question

Boogity

I have an SMI Stay-n-Play tow vehicle brake system out in the garage that I had planned to install into my 2010 Toyota Tacoma. Yesterday, while re-reading the installation instructions I discovered that a vacuum type braking system may not be compatible with vehicles that have HYDRA-BOOST power brakes. The 2010 Tacoma has HYDRO-BOOST brakes.

Today I called SMI and talked to a technical guy who told me that all I need to do is cut off the vacuum hose that comes out of the Stay-n-Play unit. And do not connect the Stay-n-Play vacuum hose to anything. What???? He did not impress me with his knowledge nor his experience. I have a $1,000 system out there on my workbench and I would certainly like to use it if possible.

Do any of you folks have experience using a Stay-n-Play system on a vehicle with HYDRA-BOOST brakes?

Sheesh! This stuff was much simpler when I set up my previous rig.

RonMon - do you know how the power brakes would work if the Hydra-Boost power steering pump is not working while being towed?

The SMI Stay-n-Play system uses a very small pneumatic piston to press the brake pedal when the motorhome brakes are applied. The vacuum pump in the S-n-P system makes the brakes much easier to apply allowing them to use a tiny piston whereas the other type systems (Brake Buddy, Patriot, etc.) do not have a vacuum pump and therefore need a much bigger piston to apply considerably more force to the brake pedal.

I need to get busy on getting ready to hit the road and now I'm facing some confusion. Murphy's Law.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you 100% sure your 2010 Tacoma can to towed 4 down. Just bought a 2017 Tacoma, and they can not be towed 4 wheels down wither it's 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. And I know the 2014's and 2015's can't to towed 4 down either. What I found out it, you have to disconnect the rear drive shaft on the 2 wheel drive models, or load um a tow dolly backwards.

I used a SMI AF1 on a 2013 Ford Fusion that did not require a vacuum hose. The tech advised me of that. So I towed it 3 years and had no problem. I would not cut the vacuum off as advised just don't have to hook it up.

As Captain Happy brought up, unless you have a standard shift your truck is not towable 4 down unless

1. You crawl under and disconnect the drive shaft or

2. You have a drive shaft disconnect installed where you pull a cable to disconnect it.

Archived