Battery question

Bruce H

Last fall when I purchased my 2006 gulfstream sun voyoger, the dealer installed 2 new interstate wet cell house batteries. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that they were not holding a charge. Every couple of months I would check the level in each cell. I couldn't figure what would be drawing down the house batteries. I checked the batteries and found that one of the batteries had a cell level below the core, another that was just above the core. I put fluid in and charged the batteries again. The charge held for about a day. The 2nd battery seem to be fine, no level drop.

I'm thinking that I should be replacing that bad battery, but what would cause the cell levels to drop so fast?

Some thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before waiting any longer, visit your local Interstate Battery store and have them check the batteries. I have bought new batteries that went bad shortly thereafter. A rapid drop in electrolyte level is indicative of a shorted cell.

If you have an inductive 12V ammeter, measure current draw from your batteries while nothing is running that is 12V-powered. You might discover there is a large current draw from something you haven't thought about.

You may also disconnect the negative cable for a day/night, then measure battery voltage as explained in The 12V Side of Life.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived